Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heatsink for Abit KN8 / Athlon X2 (939)

• Please log in to reply

Spooter

Spooter

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all,

I recently picked up an Abit KN8 motherboard to use with a leftover Athlon X2 from a computer with a failed motherboard (that's another story...). I was surprised to discover that the heatsink from the other motherboard was incompatible with the new motherboard, despite having the same CPU socket.

My heatsink has 4 screwholes, one at each corner. The new motherboard has only 2 screwholes, on opposite sides. There is also a plasic mounting bracket, with two clips on alternating corners.

So, my question is this:
How can I tell if a new heatsink will fit on my motherboard/bracket? I had assumed I would just reuse the old one, or search by the socket type (939). If possible, I'd like to buy an aftermarket one with a focus on being quiet--does anyone have advice about this?

Thanks

Advertisements

Spooter

Spooter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I should add, the motherboard CPU fan connector has only 3 pins, not 4.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Any standard AM2/939 heatsink should be fine because the lugs are virtually in the same place. Third-party heatsinks are available that don't use the plastic lugs but you don't find them as standard on the boards. That being said you may want to take a picture and share it with us just to be sure.

Regarding the fan connector - matters not about the number of pins. It'll be keyed anyway so you can only connect it one way.

Edited by Neil Jones, 01 March 2010 - 03:12 AM.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
You can use any AMD socket fan.

@Neil Jones nice sig! The binary one made me lol!