Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS recovery problem

• Please log in to reply

dustintherrien

dustintherrien

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
(I posted this in system building first, then decided it might belonged here)

I got my new computer and installed everything, turned it on and amazingly it worked with zero problems. I installed some minor programs (nothing wierd or CPU intensive; Firefox, AVG, that kind of stuff) I then installed the software that came with my motherboard, a BioStar T5 XE. I ran the BIOS online update option from the installed software, and left the room while it worked. When I came back I was greeted by a black screen saying that my BIOS had been "crushed" but not to worry, and then outlined the steps to fix it.

I followed the steps and downloaded the BIOS image file from BioStar http://www.biostar-u...os.php?S_ID=444 (the "warning" on that page was not present in the update app I used originally) - copied it to my flash drive and turned on my PC. The same black screen came up and it said it was in Re-Life mode and was scanning for a USB. I plugged in my drive, it gave a series of 5 beeps (which indicate a read error according to the manual) but it did display the file name on screen. It then proceeds to search again for my USB, beeps once (for a missing drive I believe) and then tries searching for a floppy drive (which I don't even have) and then back to searching for USB and beeping once.

Back and forth endlessly USB-BEEP-FLOPPY rinse repeat. Has anyone had problems with this motherboard or can offer advice? Thanks in advance people!

EDIT: I did try two different flash drives with seperately downloaded files and different USB ports, all with the same results.

Advertisements

dustintherrien

dustintherrien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well, BioStar has solved my problem, props to their customer service, they are fairly quick and obviously knowledgeable. It turns out that I all I needed to so was format my flash drive, they both must had had some sort of CRC error. I feel dumb lol.