Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my current PC (please help)

• Please log in to reply

dzacbbb

dzacbbb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Edited by dzacbbb, 05 March 2010 - 02:13 PM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yeah, definitely take the battery out which will reset the CMOS/BIOS.

I'm not sure what you mean about the heatsink and fan screwhole problem. They should be push pins you push down in there and they sort of snap in. Unless intel changed their design for the 775 socket. ???

Here is a video of installing a processor and heatsink/fan setup. It's not the greatest, but it's the best I can find lately :)

Also, the box should have come with instructions for installation, have you looked at them?

dzacbbb

dzacbbb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
The current CPU cooler I have(CoolMaster) screws into my mobo. And the Intel CPU Cooler that came with my CPU snaps in. So when I try to place the Intel Cooler on my mobo it doesnt snap because there isnt holes...

Sorry if I am not making sence...I am confused too lol

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I think your existing cpu cooler might have required a backplate which is attached on the backside of the motherboard. Can you find the cooler somewhere and link me to it? Try searching for it on Newegg.com, Tigerdirect.com, or Google it for Shopping Results.

Also, can you link me to your case you have?

Edited by Ferrari, 05 March 2010 - 03:36 PM.

dzacbbb

dzacbbb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I am not at home but this looks very similar to my current fan...
http://www.geeks.com...I...-GP&cat=FAN

and this is the closest I can find to my case...(mines different colors)
I changed out the powersupply (600w OCZ)

http://www.outletpc.com/c0623.html

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well the heatsink and fan you linked to doesn't say if it comes with a backplate or not, but looking at the screwing mechanism it looks like that it would screw into one. Your case doesn't have a cutout to access the backside of the motherboard either. I think you are going to have to take out the motherboard and remove the backplate if you want to use the stock Quad Core Heatsink and Fan.

According to the link you have me, the Cooler Master heatsink you have supports cooling Core 2 Duo's which is pretty close to Quad Core's. Do you have any thermal paste to reapply to the new processor? You may want to try installing that instead and see how the temperatures are.

So to recap:
1. Clear the CMOS/BIOS by removing the battery like mentioned before
2. Install the Cooler Master heatsink and fan
3. Once windows boots, check temperatures.

Install PC Wizard (lets check temps):
  • Click PC Wizard in my signature
  • Click PC Wizard 2010.1.93 on the top left
  • Save the file to your Desktop
  • Double Click the setup file
  • Follow installation instructions
  • Once installed, open PC Wizard up
  • Click "Tools"
  • Select "Options"
  • On the "View" tab, tick "sensors in real time"
  • On the "Monitoring" tab, tick "force fan detection"
  • Click OK
  • Click the Posted Image icon
  • Click the refresh Posted Image icon
What do the temperatures say? What do the fan speeds say? Posting a screen shot is best, or post the information in your next reply.

Posted Image

Lets double up to be sure: Let Coretemp run in the background during some good game play, then post the info since it keeps the highest temperatures reached.
  • Download CoreTemp
  • Select whichever your OS is, 32bit or 64bit (if you don't know, select 32)
  • Open with Windows Explorer
  • Click Extract Files (save to a location you can remember)
  • Double Click Posted Image
  • Post ALL information or post a screenshot
Posted Image

dzacbbb

dzacbbb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Going to do all that tonight...you are a godsend!

Only thing is I do not have thermal paste...I know there was still some on the Cooler master fan but I am suppose to scrape that off right?

Otherwise would Bestbuy or Radioshack have it?

You need a tip jar sir! Because you do deserve it!

Edited by dzacbbb, 05 March 2010 - 04:50 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I know Radioshack carries Arctic Silver 5... look here... http://www.radioshac...p...silver&sr=1 I recommend the top one (silver and black).

How to apply thermal paste... Very thin and even, don't need to use a whole lot.

dzacbbb

dzacbbb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Good morning Ferrari,

So with my new cpu in I removed the battery for 5 mins then put back in and turned on rig. It's still doing the same thing... nothing comes up on screen(monitor in standby) all fans including my video card turn on as well as lights for CD/DVD drives turn on for a bit then it reboots and repeats...

I also tried putting in my old video card and got the same results...

Any ideas?

Edited by dzacbbb, 06 March 2010 - 11:12 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
When you waited 5 minutes did you press the power button with the computer unplugged of course a few times? The point is to rid the motherboard of any electricity. Then put the batter back in. This really seems like the CMOS wasn't cleared. Try again... maybe wait even longer and press and hold and keep pressing the power button a few times.

Immediately after that when you try to power the computer on, can you get to the BIOS? Just see if you can get to the BIOS first. Post back if you can, I'll give further instructions.

Advertisements

dzacbbb

dzacbbb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Will try that right now and post back in 20.

dzacbbb

dzacbbb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Same thing

:)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I wonder if the cpu is overheating. You may have to take the motherboard out and take that back plate off and try the stock heatsink that came with the quad core.

Can you describe what it is doing in better detail?

dzacbbb

dzacbbb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I actually did that last night. (The intel fan is connected)

I power on my computer all fans start spining, CD Drives blink then after about 5-10 seconds they stop. And it keeps repeating this cycle until I hit the power switch on the back on the case...

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
What happens if you try your old processor? Remember to clear the CMOS first.

If it's the same problem, we can try some things, if it boots with the old processor, you may have been sent a bad processor. You can use the Intel Stock Heatsink with the old processor, no worries there.

Let me know.

Edited by Ferrari, 06 March 2010 - 05:08 PM.