Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

XP System Recovery no 2nd reboot!

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HP pavilion 304w running XP
Did a System RECOVERY to restore computer to original settings so that I could sell it. Recovery was from partition in hard drive, there was no CDs. The 1st reboot after recovery brought up the settings wizard, an animated guy, to help the owner set up the computer. Since I was sending it to the new owner, I shut it down from there so the new owner could set it up the way they wanted to..She just emailed me today and said that when she powers it up she only gets a blank black screen, and the power lights in the front do not come on but one green light in the back does?? Don't know to what she is referring to about the light in the back. She also said she was using a Dell monitor and maybe that was the problem, but the monitor alone says it is working properly. I didn't think that was the problem, so I am posting to see if anyone has any ideas. Maybe it got too jostled in transport??? Did I do something wrong? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Edited by cerulean_sky, 19 May 2005 - 11:08 AM.

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
you may have orked up...don't know for sure. I think you should have let windows finish the setup. How could you know it was going to work if you didn't finish setup? So you sold the computer without a recovery CD? You did your restore from a partition on the HD and did not copy that to a CD for the new owner? Maybe you ought to give them their money back...