Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP does not launch & unable to repair

• Please log in to reply

fargaud

fargaud

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I am facing a problem with my Dell Dimension 9200 (Dell DXP061 / BIOS version: 2.5.0), running Windows XP Home Edition SP2.

A couple of days ago, I got a bunch of anti-virus messages popping left and right. I turned off my machine and rebooted in safe mode to archive some personal files. When I rebooted my machine, it would not start. I kept getting the following message:

--------------------------------------
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I do not have the Setup CD-ROM. I have ordered the Dell OEM CD for my system and it should arrive in a few days. In the meantime, I tried using another Dell OEM CD (Windows XP Home Edition SP1.a) from a colleague. When I booted from the CD, the "Windows Setup" ran for a few minutes, loading a bunch of files/drivers. I then saw a "Setup is Starting Windows" message appearing briefly, after which I got the following error:

(Blue Screen of Death)

"A Problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
[...]

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D663C,0XC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

After changing some setup in the BIOS (SATA Operation, from "RAID On" to "RAID Autodetect / ATA", I was able to access a screen option where I could either "Setup Windows XP" or "Repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console". In the "Recovery Console" mode, I enter the Windows installation I want to log onto and immediately get the following error:

(Blue Screen of Death)

A Problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

REGISTRY_ERROR

[...]

*** STOP: 0x00000051 (0x00000003,0x00000003,0x00000000,0xE16A7000)

I get the same error when I select the "Setup Windows XP" option.

My questions:

(1) Am I likely to see a similar error when I try repairing my Windows XP with the Dell OEM CD tailored made for my system?

(2) Is there anything else I should do/try?

(3) If I have to reinstall my OS (which I consider a last resort solution), how would I need to proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Fargaud

Advertisements

abraham2006

abraham2006

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,
I had a similar error as yours,the repair option will not work even if you use the Windows OEM CD,I ran chkdsk /r through the recovery console,and luckily the error was fixed and was able to boot into windows,but once inside windows i got 2 or 3 BSOD errors,Im plannin to take a backup of my important files and format the C drive.If anbody has a better solution,it would be helpful to me also.will keep track of this thread.Hope this helps a bit.

fargaud

fargaud

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks! Lucky you could get to the Recovery Console... I can't even reach this point.

abraham2006

abraham2006

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,
Lets wait and see,so someone comes up with a solution.Actually i used my windows xp cd to get into the recovery console..

fargaud

fargaud

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I was able to repair my Windows XP but am getting a different error now. FYI, I had to wait for the Windows XP CD SP 2 OEM from Dell, as any other CDs (Windows XP SP1a, Windows XP Professional...) where throwing some system error during boot.

Following up in a different thread:
http://www.geekstogo...XP-t270322.html