Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.exe files not working (searched thread didn't help)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

JediSolo

JediSolo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey everyone! I have a problem with my netbook, the .exe files won't work. I saw you guys helped someone else out with a similar problem located in this thread.

http://www.geekstogo...es-t182087.html

This helped me until I got to this process

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, locate and left click on .exe

In the right pane, what is the value shown under the Data column for the (Default) folder?

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and left click on Winlogon.

In the right pane, scroll down to Shell. What is the value shown under the Data column for Shell?

When it asks what the value shown in the data column is I get "(value not set)".

When I get down to the CurrentVersion there is no Winlogon to be found. Actually compared to what is on my desktop there are a ton of folders missing in this file.

I was just wondering should I use the same process that was instructed in this older thread for my problem? Or should I take another route? I'm worried about doing the wrong thing and making the matter worse...

Thanks in advance!

Edit: PROBLEM SOLVED! http://www.geekstogo...rams-t8598.html Followed the instructions on this thread, which ended up being the same suggested program and it worked! Thanks for the site everyone I don't know what I'd do with out help from "geeks" on these computers :)

Edited by JediSolo, 02 March 2010 - 02:25 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)