Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extracting ME files.....

• Please log in to reply

billywhizz

billywhizz

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi, I've been referred by Greyknight17 in the malware forum, who has advised me to do ask the following which a trojan fix has highlighted....

Greyknight 17 says:
I really don't like this. I have problems when users have this problem on a Windows ME machine because Windows ME doesn't have the system file checker feature. I'm not sure if those files are in a Windows ME machine, but they look like they should be.

Could you post a new topic in the Windows ME forum asking for help on extracting these files:

C:\WINDOWS\System\cmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System\netstat.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System\drwatson.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System\drwtsn32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System\sysedit.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System\taskman.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System\taskmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System\regedt32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System\netmsg.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System\winsock.dll

Post back a followup on this if you can so that we can wrap things up.

This is not really a solution, but I have asked users to reinstall ME over itself before and I think that may solve the problem with those missing files. When you do the reinstall, make sure that you install it as an upgrade instead of a new install so that you will still have all your data intact. I suggest backing up either way, since there's not guarantee that errors won't occur.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm a little confused what this is about. Some of these files do not exist on Windows ME, and some do not belong in that location

For example,
C:\WINDOWS\System\cmd.exe is a windows nt file, and it is found in C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System\netstat.exe does exist, but it is in C:\WINDOWS

Likewise, C:\WINDOWS\System\drwatson.exe is in c:\windows

C:\WINDOWS\System\drwtsn32.exe is a windows xp file

C:\WINDOWS\System\rundll32.exe in c:\windows

sysedit.exe was taken out of winme, though it was in windows 98 and added back in xp, but it is not in C:\WINDOWS\System

taskman.exe is in c:\windows

taskmgr.exe is not part of WinME

winlogon.exe is not part of winME

regedt32.exe is not part of WinME

netmsg.dll is not part of winME (I don't think)

winsock.dll is in c:\windows

It looks like whatever program that is was not meant for win me....if everything is working right, I would disregard those "errors"

billywhizz

billywhizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks,

It looks as if the malware programm isn't meant for ME. I've passed this back to the expert in the malware forum.

Best regards.