Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Running very Slow

• Please log in to reply

TomBoy10

TomBoy10

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've run all the best melaware tools and still my XP computer is very slow. Is has NIS2010 and I've run a full scan but no problems are detected. I think that I've downloaded a programme sometime in the past and the said programme is looking for a link. Is there some way that I check all the files on my PC to detect this programme that's slowing down my PC?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

TomBoy10

TomBoy10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi rshaffer

I've attached the report but I can't seem to be able to attache the screen shot? Look forwars to hearing from you.
Thanks

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok here we go
First issue I see:

System Memory 512 MB (PC133 SDRAM

This is barely enough for OS and programs to work. This may have worked in the past but with the installation of more programs that run in the background and on autoruns you are probably running out of available memory. We suggest going to at least 1 gig of memory to make sure your system has enough available memory for everything.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Next lets take a look at your Autoruns and see what is actually running in the background that is not needed.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Edited by rshaffer61, 02 March 2010 - 11:32 AM.