Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS ME REINSTALL

• Please log in to reply

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
:tazz: WHEN I WAS LAST HERE, I WAS TRYING TO GET MY HELP AND SUPPORT WITH VERIZON DSL TO WORK. WELL, I'VE GONE THROUGH LOSING EVERYTHING TO WORKING WITH DELL FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS TO GET ME STARTED FROM SCRATCH. NOW, WHEN I TURN THE COMPUTER ON IT GOES THROUGH SEVERAL ATTEMPTS (TURNING ON AND OFF) TO GET TO WINDOWS. UNTIL I CAN GET THIS BUG AND SEVERAL MORE, LIKE BEING SLOOOOOW TO DO EVERYTHING AND NOT BEING ABLE TO GET THE HELP AND SUPPORT SET UP FOR DELL THAT WAS ORIGINALLY ON THE COMPUTER ( IT WON'T OPEN AT ALL) I AM AFRAID TO PUT MY ACCOUNTING SOFTWARE BACK IN AND THAT IS GETTING BEHIND. WHAT A DITHER TO BE IN. I HAVE THE BACK UPS FOR QUICKBOOKS AND THE ORIGINAL PROGRAM DISC BUT AM AFRAID WITH THIS THING WORKING THE WAY IT IS THAT IT WILL GET MESSED UP. CAN ANYONE PLEEEEEASE HELP ME??? NOT A YOUNG COMPUTER GEEK. I FORGOT I DID NOT HAVE ANY BUGS OR VIRUSES. THEY JUST SAID THAT IT WAS OVERLOADED. HIDDEN FILES OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT??

Edited by headwayne, 19 May 2005 - 11:15 AM.

Advertisements

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
Stop yelling please. I just can't read all caps for that long. Sorry.

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
SORRY YOU DON'T LIKE CAPS BUT I HAVE A VISION PROBLEM AND MUST HAVE THEM SO I CAN EDIT WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN.

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
A person who can read over 3 sentences of caps will have to help you.

:tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

When i was last here, i was trying to get my help and support with verizon dsl to work. Well, i've gone through losing everything to working with dell for a couple of days to get me started from scratch. Now, when i turn the computer on it goes through several attempts (turning on and off) to get to windows. Until i can get this bug and several more, like being slooooow to do everything and not being able to get the help and support set up for dell that was originally on the computer ( it won't open at all) i am afraid to put my accounting software back in and that is getting behind. What a dither to be in. I have the back ups for quickbooks and the original program disc but am afraid with this thing working the way it is that it will get messed up. Can anyone pleeeeease help me??? Not a young computer geek. I forgot i did not have any bugs or viruses. They just said that it was overloaded. Hidden files or something like that??

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
MSWords "change case" function is a wonderful thing....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmmm, would be useful to know what was done to get you to this point

Have you run a scandisk yet?

Double click MY COMPUTER, then right click the C DRIVE, then choose PROPERTIES, select the TOOLS tab, select SCAN DISK, and check the FIX ERRORS box

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
YES, I DID DO THE SCANDISK WITH FIX ERRORS MARKED
THANKS FOR REPLYING

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
WOULD IT HELP IF I TYPED IN ALL CAPS?

WINDOWS ME IS NOT TERRIBLY HELPFUL WHEN IT COMES TO REPORTING IT"S PROBLEMS....

YOU SAID IT IS SLOW TO BOOT...HOW LONG?

YOU ALSO SAID IT TAKES SEVERAL TIMES TO START? PLEASE EXPLAIN THAT. IF YOU TURN ON THE PC, WHAT HAPPENS? LOCK UP? AUTOMATIC REBOOT?

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
WHEN I TURN THE COMPUTER ON IT WILL SIT FOR SEVERAL MINUTES WITH A BLACK SCREEN AND A BLINKING CURSOR IN THE UPPER (L) CORNER OF THE SCREEN. THEN IT GOES TO THE SET UP SCREEN WHERE THE DELL PEOPLE HELPED ME TO REINSTALL THE ME APPLICATIONS, DRIVERS AND RESOURCE CD. OTHER TIMES IT WILL BE A BLACK SCREEN AND THE ZIP ACROSS THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREENWILL SAY RETURNING TO WINDOWS. SOMETIMES IT TAKES A FEW MINUTES TO FINALLY DO JUST THAT. WHEN I TURN IT OFF IT WILL ALSO SIT WITH THE BLACK SCREEN AND BLINKING CURSOR- THIS WILL BE THE SAME WAY IN THE AM WHEN I RETURN TO THE COMPUTER.WHEN THESE DELAYS HAPPEN I HOLD DOWN THE POWER SWITCH ON THE COMPUTER TOWER THE DRIVE IS IN. SOMETIMES WE START ALL OVER WITH THE SAME PROCESS AND OCCASIONALLY IT WILL ACTUALLY AFTER A DELAY GO TO THE DESKTOP SCREEN.
THANK YOU FOR USING THE CAPS. IT DOES HELP.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
NOT A PROB ON CAPS--HAVE A RELATIVE WITH A SIMILAR DIFFICULTY.

I WANT YOU TO TAP THE F8 KEY AS YOU START YOUR COMPUTER AND THEN CHOOSE THE SECOND OPTION, WHICH IS START UP WITH BOOT LOGGING.

IF IT FAILS, THAT's FINE....WE WANT IT TO. KEEP BOOTING UNTIL YOU GET A START, BUT BOOT NORMALLY AFTER THE FIRST TIME. WHEN IT DOES START, GO TO MY COMPUTER > C: DRIVE > AND FIND BOOTLOG.TXT

ATTACH THAT FILE TO YOUR NEXT POST

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
haven't been able to get hijack this log to attach to my reply- someone told me this is because some of the functions i need for this process are not ther from the re-install of the OS. NO CAPS THIS TIME. I am trying