Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lockup/random restarts

• Please log in to reply

Mephisto_VI

Mephisto_VI

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Problem cause has been found. The RAM timings in my BIOS were really off. I am still trying to fine tune the settings to balance stability and performance but I will post final results. It looks like the internal settings of the RAM I received were incorrectly set or the motherboard isnt reading the values correctly.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is good you found the problem and now you can correct it. I'm sorry I wasn't able to help much as I never mess with the timing and OC'ing.
Please let us know what the final resolution was as it will help someone later with the same issue.

Mephisto_VI

Mephisto_VI

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
These probably aren't the final values, but these have been stable so far and still need more testing of both idling and gaming. Especially gaming since thats where I experience the lockups most often. I am going to test for one more day of both idling and gaming, and if it works will post that back Thursday. Otherwise back to the tedium of trying every combination until something works or I finally hear from the manufacturer.

I left it at 400 MHz since that was what it was detected as (though I purchased DDR2 667 instead of DDR2 800), increased the voltage to 2.0, and also changed the timings to what the SPD stated (found using CPU-Z) since the BIOS wasn't doing it. The CAS Latency (CL) I set to 5, RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD) at 5, RAS Precharge (tRPD) 5 as well, Cycle Time (tRC) of 18, Bank Cycle Time (tRC) of 23, Command Rate (CR) of 2T. I will add the last value my BIOS would let me set when I next reboot the machine and can view it from the BIOS since CPU-Z doesn't show it.

Edited by Mephisto_VI, 13 April 2010 - 03:55 AM.