Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply

tsmonk

tsmonk

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Attached File  boot.ini_backup.txt   335bytes   313 downloadsAttached File  boot.ini_backup.txt   335bytes   313 downloadsHello all,

I have a problem dual booting Windows XP Pro and Windows XP pro x64. When I select the x64 OS from the boot screen I get ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt yada,yada. However, if I leave any XP installation CD in the CD tray it boots just fine.

A little history of the problem may shed some light. Many months ago I thought I would be clever and do a parallel install of XP Pro (the original was getting a little bloated) rather than do a clean install in one fell swoop. XP pro on C: drive and D: drive. Well, life happens and I never finished the second install before the 30 day activation period expired. Subsequently, when I tried to boot into the second install I got the ntosknl error. I assumed it had somthing to do with letting the activation period running out, no big deal.

My next bright idea was to install XP x64 as the second OS. I could get a volume licensed copy from the university where I teach as an adjunct and free is good. I formatted D: drive, installed x64 and still got the ntoskrnl error. So... I went back to the parallel installation, as that had orignally worked fine, in an attempt to "fix" the problem. It seemed to work. I could boot to either OS just fine. Now, format D: drive, install x64 OS, problem solved, but only for a few boot cycles. Back comes the ntoskrnl.exe.

Here's what I've done to try to relieve the issue:

1. To eliminate hardware as a cause, uplugged all USB devices, swapped out the keyboard, no joy.
Also ran chkdsk from the recovery console on both C and D drives. Chkdsk reported one or more errors but did not say it fixed any. Ran Seatools (C drive) and Hitachi DFT (D Drive) No disc errors. Ran chkdsk again and it said one error was found and fixed on both drives.

2. From the recovery console, expand ntoskrnl.ex_ both C and D drive. Still no joy. Ran bootcfg /rebuild on C drive. Couriously, this just added both OS's to the boot.ini file without deleting the the first two. Chucked that and returned to original boot.in. I have attached the boot.ini file for perusal.

3. Tried to run BitDefender DOS but would not run. (Downloaded .iso file, burned to CD, loaded ok but when I hit enter to scan the screen went black and that was that.)

So that is where I stand for now. I can still boot into either OS with the hinkey "leave a install disc in the CD tray" method. Let me add this. When I click "check all boot paths" in msconfig>system configuration utility>boot.ini tab, it says the x64 entry "does not refer to a valid operating operating system". I haven't tried fixboot or fixmbr from the recovery console yet because I have no guts. I don't want to lose what I have now, which is to boot to both systems. Another addendum. I no longer have the x64 installation CD. I had to return it to the university but I could check it out again if needs be.

Any help with this problem would be appreciated. Peace Out.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to geeks to go!

This forum is for posts relating to 'Digital Images'. Please post in the correct forum as you are unlikely to get any help in this one. You need the Windows XP forum here:
http://www.geekstogo...2003-NT-f5.html