Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deja Vu All Over Again

• Please log in to reply

praglen

praglen

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I believe you helped me the last time we had this problem. I dutifully copied the instructions and made a folder which I can't open!
I'll put THIS instruction in a folder I CAN open.
Specs:
Router: D-Link Wireless G Router, DIR-300
Modem: ADSL CPE

Windows XP Home

There are 8 wireless networks serving our area, with two specifically working in our condo building.
Both the local LAN and wirelss networks are connected to the wireless system on my PC. When I go to her netbook, both networks are disabled and when I click on the networks screen, I get an error message: No wireless networks were found in range.

Of course, on my PC in the next room, all the networks were found; hers, too, the day before.

As I recall, you guys gave me a new IP or DNS address to fill in, but I forget how to do it and what the new numbers are...

Advertisements

praglen

praglen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
The latest news is:

We took the netbook into a local repair shop and discovered the netbook has a switch just under the keyboard on the right near the corner. When the technician switched it on, the wireless networks appeared. Voila! That's the good news.
When we got home, sure enough, all the networks appeared, but the one we'd been using for 10 months wouldn't connect, asking for a WPA or WEP key for DLink(the network of past use). Moreover, the double icon at the bottom of the desktop - the LAN network - was red crossed out, while the wireless network icon was fine. You'll recall that both icons worked when we swapped her netbook for my PC and both the internet and the wireless icon were good to go.
What next?

praglen

praglen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Instead of trying to figure out why suddenly the wireless network we've been using for 10 months doesn't work without a key(WPA/WEP), since I already have an ADSL connection, what if I bypass the wireless problem by buying a second modem, calibrating it so it matches the original one I bought from the ADSL company(it's not that hard, right?) and just plug it in, attaching my normal phone line and a LAN cable to it and to my GF's PC? Shouldn't that solve the problem?