Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE very slow

• Please log in to reply

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
A few weeks ago I was fighting a redirect virus. I don't suffer from that problem after running MBAM and Combofix. During the cleaning the computer started to have problems surfing and it has gotten worse.

Opening my homepage takes much longer than before. Once it is open clicking on the various links work pretty well unless it opens a new 2nd window. That can freeze the computer or at least render the mouse ineffective. Just about any time a link opens in a new window the time it takes for the 2nd window to open is painfully slow. Even clicking on the links within these forums for scanners, tools, etc.

I have a high speed cable connection and can stream music while the pages freeze with no interuption or buffering.

The computer takes longer to boot; the "Welcome" blue screen hangs a little longer than before. When the desktop appears the taskbar is just solid blue with no "Start" or clock for about 30-45 seconds.

The scans came back clean so I was instructed to post hear by the person that was helping on the Malware forum. Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you complete the steps in post 20 of your malware topic?
especially the Java update is what I am more interested in.
Try the following and let me know the results.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

]

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Just to be sure I did the Java step over again. Nothing changed after the Java upgrade or running CHKDSK /R.

I don't know if this helps and I hope I can explain it correctly but it is unusual: When I have web pages open, there is a tab on the bottom of the screen (taskbar). If I then open a link that I have saved on my desktop that tab appears at the top of the page along with the original site's tab, (under the favorites tab). If I have 3 links at the bottom open and click on the saved link from the desktop that tab will then appear at the top of all 3 screens' tab, not the most recently opened page. Things get very slow at that point as IE trys to simultaneously open 3 pages. Clicking between the 3 (6 depending on how you look at it) pages pretty much just gets you a blank white screen under the toolbar.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
From what you are describing is a setting in IE to open links in a new tab. If you start IE and go to Tools I think it is at the top of the window. Then click on Internet Options
I believe then you would have to go to Advanced and then in the list see if there is a entry that says Open links in new tab
If it is checked then uncheck it.
Let me know what you find.

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I think that did it.

There is a Tab setting for webpages under the "General" tab. I reset the defaults in the "Advance" tab before I found it under General.

Thanks for the help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Everything working correctly now?

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I had to reload Firefox. I guess resetting the defaults kicked it out somehow.

The only thing that is slow is the link to MSN from the Outlook Express home page. It takes 30 seconds once you click on it before it comes up. I can start from the desktop and find the MSN home page faster in a Yahoo search. Not a big deal unless you think it is some measure of how things are running behind the scenes. I rarely follow that link or use MSN.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you would like we can continue to look into other ways to help quicken everything up.
Is it just on the internet where you notice the slowdown or does the system itself run slow? It will make a difference which step I give you next to try.

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
It is just that O.E. link. Everything else is fine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then try this and see if it helps.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Advertisements

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
No, that didn't have any effect. Still takes the same time. Everything else is good.

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I just tried it again after OE was open a minute and the link is almost instant. Don't know what it is, the screen is fully popluated so it is hard to tell when Outlook is fully loaded.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What do you mean the screen is fully populated?

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I guess OE is loaded and ready to use. The "Folder" section is full and the "Contacts" are full. It isn't waiting to finish loading. I can immediately click between my inbox, outbox, click on a contact and start a message. But if during that time I click on the MSN link everything starts to freeze.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you give me the link you are trying so I can check it out myself.

Edited by rshaffer61, 03 March 2010 - 02:37 PM.