Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to find operating system + computer unable to shut down

• Please log in to reply

anamiko

anamiko

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay, well I have two problems here (well maybe one if they are caused by the same thing). Here's a bit of backup information for you: I just recently got a new computer and installed Windows 7 onto it, I don't think it had any OS on it before. The installation went smoothly and I didn't have any problems, until of course I took out the installation DVD.

So, this brings me to my first problem. Windows runs fine with the dvd in the computer, even if I take it out it continues to run. BUT if I take it out and leave it out after restarting/shutting down my computer it gives me a message (while booting) that there is no operating system detected and I should press F1 to restart the boot process. If I just leave it stand it just continuously boots over and over again (ending at the message each time) until I put the DVD back in.

That's it for my first problem, but here is my second. My computer will NOT stay shut down. No matter what I do; press shut down on the start menu, turn it off with the power button or take the power cord out and then put it back in it still refuses to stay off. I does shut down though, for about 5 seconds then it starts back up again.

I have tried reinstalling windows twice and messing with things in BIOS (which I know almost nothing about so anything regarding it will have to be explained) and nothing seems to work.
So, if there is anything you can do to help, or you have any ideas, please lay them on me as I am getting quite frustrated.

Thank you in advance for all your help, and if I did anything wrong I am sorry as I am new here. =D

Thanks,
Kelsey

Edited by anamiko, 03 March 2010 - 07:14 AM.

Advertisements