Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My computer keeps telling me that my harddrive is damaged

• Please log in to reply

MicahRene10

MicahRene10

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My PC keep telling me that my hardware is damaged. I dont kno which one it is. And it keeps telling me that I need to backup all my files, but I dnt know where to put it all. I really dont want my computer to crash or have anything else happen to it. Can anyone help me?

And sometimes it shuts down for no reason. Is that because of my harddrive being damaged?

I have a Dell Windows Vista; Intel Core Duo2.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

My PC keep telling me that my hardware is damaged. I dont kno which one it is. And it keeps telling me that I need to backup all my files, but I dnt know where to put it all.

You need to backup (copy) your data files to another storage medium such as another hard drive (external or internal) or to CD/DVDs. Once that's done, install a new hard drive, install Windows, install your Application Programs, and then restore your backed-up data files.

I really dont want my computer to crash or have anything else happen to it.

The only way to prevent that from happening is to never turn it back on. Use = Wear, and eventually enough wear = failure.

And sometimes it shuts down for no reason. Is that because of my harddrive being damaged?

Yes, it definately can be. Especially if the hard drive is so badly worn that it cannot correctly position the read/write heads. (This can also end up mangling/ruining/destroying any file that it tries to write back to disk).

You need to get your 'stuff' backed up ASAP. Hopefully the old, ailing hard drive will last long enough to allow you to get this part of the job done.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
If you have a Toshiba HD, you might try Seagate's "SeaTools for Windows":

SeaTools for Windows is a comprehensive, easy-to-use diagnostic tool that helps you quickly determine the condition of the disc drive in your external hard drive, desktop or notebook computer. It includes several tests that will examine the physical media on your Seagate or Maxtor disc drive and any other non-Seagate disc drive.

SeaTools for Windows tests USB, 1394, ATA (PATA/IDE), SATA and SCSI drives. It installs onto your system. SeaTools for Windows is completely data safe.

http://www.seagate.c...nloads/seatools

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tried Seagate on Toshiba and it reports false positive on them. Not a suggestion we advise of.

Edited by rshaffer61, 04 March 2010 - 07:16 AM.