Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell optiplex gx 240

• Please log in to reply

rodrigkb

rodrigkb

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Based on my love of my Optiplex 320 - I bought a (cheap used) gx240 with window 2000 for my kids to bang on. Specs are:

Dell Socket 478 ("N") Motherboard with Intel 845 Chipset.
Minitower with 250W Power Supply
Intel Pentium 4 - 1.5GHz Processor, 400Mhz FSB, 256KB Cache, never overclocked!
256MB memory in one DDR PC2100 266MHz Module, one slot open
Seagate 20GB IDE Hard Drive, 7200rpm, ATA-100, Model #ST320011A
ATI Rage 128 PRO AGP Video Card with 16MB memory
1.44MB Floppy
250MB IDE ZIP Drive
IDE CD-ROM Reader Drive
Integrated 3Com PCI 10/100MBps Ethernet Network Card
Analog Devices Integrated 16-bit Sound Card with AD1885 Chipset
Windows 2000 Professional SP4 loaded with media and COA Tag on Machine Included

QUESTION: Will the xp home edition OS disc that came with my 320 work in the gx 240 so I can upgrade it?

Many thanks for your help

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope because of the different components in each system. Different drivers needed.
One other important factor is it is against Microsoft's EULA to do what you are attempting. You can't load the same COA on two systems at the same time. You would need to purchase a new XP for the system or try contacting Dell and seeing if they have the recovery cd for the new system with XP as the OS. If not then purchasing a new xp is your only option.
As a side note to make it less expensive you could purchase a upgrade XP for the system with 2000 on it.

rodrigkb

rodrigkb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry - can you clarify on your respone?

As a side note to make it less expensive you could purchase a upgrade XP for the system with 2000 on it.

Thank you for the quick response as there are lot of folks offering these discs saying they work on any dell. That is why I asked.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What I meant is you could purchase a upgrade copy of XP to use on the Windows 2000 Dell and that way you would have a separate Registration key for each system.
According to Microsoft's EULA you cannot have the same Registration Key installed on two systems at the same time.
This is the statement i am referring to:

QUESTION: Will the xp home edition OS disc that came with my 320 work in the gx 240 so I can upgrade it?

You can not use the registration key that is used on the 320 to install XP on the 240 system.