Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Needing help with a "pet " project , please...

• Please log in to reply

heyyouinleftfield

heyyouinleftfield

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Can someone help me with a project of mine ? I'm wanting to hook a gizmo to my pets collar, and then when they get more than say 50 feet or more away from me, it would set off an alarm on my key chain. That's pretty much it, I will not bore you with why I would need such a devise , but it would be very helpful to me. Can someone help and explain how I would begin to make such a devise , please ...

Advertisements

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello, heyyouinleftfield, have you tried a collar and a leash? That is just about the best thing , as Technology can only go so far. I have always used the good ole fashioned collar and leash. It is a tried and true method :)

heyyouinleftfield

heyyouinleftfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes , thank you, I got this idea in my head, and want to see it through for some reason , seems like it could be done, instead of setting off an alarm when one enters, it would go off when one walked away ??? What do you think ? Impossible ?? That makes me what to do it even more, but I can't figure out where to get started on such a project ...

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
sure you could build something like that, witch would require a good amount of research and practice. They have used alarms like that with hunt dogs for quite some time, however if you are really concerned with your dogs safety when your not around then you might want to consider a GPS unit. http://www.pet-super...-petfinder.html

what kind of dog do you have?

heyyouinleftfield

heyyouinleftfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thank you, I will look into this site, will make life easier ! I have two dogs , a Pug, and a poodle , thank you !!

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

I have two dogs , a Pug, and a poodle

cool... I love dogs, I have a lab her name is Katie

Posted Image

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Not sure how to go about it, but some sort of device that will beep when it loses connection... So if the range is set to 50 feet as you want, then when the devices are further apart than that it will beep to warn you that the connection is lost - meaning your dog is running away or whatever.

When you finish making it, I'll order 2 for my kids. :)

heyyouinleftfield

heyyouinleftfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
YEs, something like that, I didn't think about wayward children , that might come in handy also,. What kind of signal would work best , at losing / breaking the signal at a short distance I wonder ???

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Bluetooth?

heyyouinleftfield

heyyouinleftfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
That's interesting , I didn't think of that !

Advertisements

fordham752000

fordham752000

• Pip
  • 4 posts
If your concern is keeping the dogs in your yard, maybe an invisible fence is the way to go. A wire is buried at the boundry of where the dogs can roam and if they try to cross, a receiver in their collar gives them a small shock. They get trained to stay in range very quickly. There are also shock collars that are used with difficult hunting dogs like Irish Setters and Beagles that train them to obey commands. Keep in mind that any of these devices take a good deal of training not only for the dogs but also for the owners. Good luck with your project.

heyyouinleftfield

heyyouinleftfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thank you !

dinotech

dinotech

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
What a beautiful dog, howett! I'll tell you, Geeks To Go family just gets better every time I visit this site. Good job Blair!

I have two dogs , a Pug, and a poodle

cool... I love dogs, I have a lab her name is Katie

Posted Image

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

If your concern is keeping the dogs in your yard, maybe an invisible fence is the way to go. A wire is buried at the boundry of where the dogs can roam and if they try to cross, a receiver in their collar gives them a small shock. They get trained to stay in range very quickly. There are also shock collars that are used with difficult hunting dogs like Irish Setters and Beagles that train them to obey commands. Keep in mind that any of these devices take a good deal of training not only for the dogs but also for the owners. Good luck with your project.

I'll have to agree with Ford here. These dogs are 8 & 10 years old , and are pretty much set in their ways already.. I used to train dogs too, and it does take a bit of work on the dog owner too. I wouldn't suggest any shock collars for these dogs..

The invisible fence was suggested on another site by the same poster, and that is how I found out the age of the dogs. In my opinion, they should know how to walk on a leash by now, and know simple commands. If they do not, it may be a bit harder to train them, but it can be done, if one has the time to spend doing it... :)

heyyouinleftfield

heyyouinleftfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm loving the responses , but to be fair , I was not planning on shocking the dogs, they are like my children , and I am on the go all the time, so I do travel with the dogs every so often , so what I was needing (or really just wanting) was to make a device that would have a devise attached to the dogs collars that would then signal me (or my key chain) if they ventured off more than 50 fett, so I would know then that they are probably up to no good, and I need to then go see what they are up too. Another poster suggested that it would be a device that would loose it's signal after traveling apart (dog collar to my key chain) more than the 50 feet, causing it to loose it's signal would then create an audible signal to my key chain to alert me. Now I've taken you all the way down the rabbit hole, and you can witness my craziness !! But it seems doable to me, but what type of transmission signal would serve best for this application is what I can't wrap my mind around ???? Does anyone have an idea as how to make this come together , with all the remote key chains out there, I thought it might be a derivative of that type of technology ??? Does anyone have an idea ???