Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Repair Reinstall stuck on Registering Components

• Please log in to reply

ManBearPig

ManBearPig

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all.

I am currently repairing my windows XP. I followed the instruction in your tutorial, very easy to use by the way. Everything was going well until it began installing windows. It has been stuck in the "registering components" stage for like 30 min.

It never promped me for a CD key. The features of XP on the right side of the screen have been changing the whole time, so I know it is not frozen. I have a dell, and used an OEM cd to complete the instaill since I have my cd key.

What can I do to finish the repair?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

This OEM cd you used.. did it come with a different system (HP, Comapq, etc)?

Murray

ManBearPig

ManBearPig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No. I bought it directly from dell. They said it should work since i have my cd key for the version of windows installed originally on my comp

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Have you removed any and all extra's (printers, usb devices, etc) prior to installing?

Murray

ManBearPig

ManBearPig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes. It on my laptop and nothing more is connected. Last night I ran it again, but after the reboot I switched the settings back to boot from hd insead of cd. It went to half way and stopped, other attempts the progress bar barely had a tick on it.

I'm planning on taking out the hd and getting an enclosure to transfer my files to my external from another comp. Then im gonna reinstall XP.

Do you think the problem will continue?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
That is very difficult to say. Everything I can find on the problem seems to indicate a hardware problem. A re-install may be the best way to go.

Murray