Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Hard Freeze Issue

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We need to do a Repair Installation or Parallel installation

Advertisements

ersatz

ersatz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Senidol,

Rereading the topic.. When you say the computer "crashes", what exactly do you mean by that? Complete power off instantly? No blue screen obviously.

Sometimes incorrect CMOS settings can cause your computer to crash. There is probably a default option you can resort to somewhere in the BIOS/CMOS- or a jumper on your motherboard.

I agree, a repair installation or parallel installation should be the next step after these. If you do the repair first, and the problem is the CMOS, you would still have the problem after the install..

This is a real mystery.. hopefully the solution is soon to come :)

-Tony

Senidol

Senidol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
By freeze I mean a complete Hard Freeze, no task manager, no mouse, often if sound is playing the sound will loop, only option is to power off. No bluescreens at all.

I also just got a message after a freeze on my monitor about setting it back to 1680x1050 at 60hz or something like that.

Senidol

Senidol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
And to clarify the crashes only happened after I was forced into replacing the CMOS battery, and clearing bios settings.

Senidol

Senidol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Well I rolled back the video card drivers out of a hunch, and the crashes are down to about 2 a day now, instead of 9 or 10. Still can't make much sense out of this problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The cmos battery would have reset the bios back to default settings, so unless you had changed something like OCing or special video settings. Then nothing should be causing this issue except for hardware or OS.

Big_Mac_Attack

Big_Mac_Attack

• Pip
  • 8 posts
This description of "freeze up" is exactly like my issue.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see you have a malware topic opened right now Mac. I suggest you keep with it till it is done before starting with Tech topic. We cannot help until your malware tech has completed the steps.

Big_Mac_Attack

Big_Mac_Attack

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the direction. I really appreciate the help! Have a great day!