Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware problem? Diagnostic test? Assistance please

• Please log in to reply

DavidIrving

DavidIrving

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Specs:
Toshiba Satellite L305-S5944
Everything is stock...

Wasnt sure if i should post it here, but i figured it might be a hardware problem.

Friend lent me their laptop to fix, but this time i am defeated. Tried installing windows vista after backing up the files on another computer. So the hard drive works correctly, i think? As i was moving files, some of them didnt transfer correctly, got an "io error". (Using a VIA 6421 to transfer the files to my hard drive) I didnt think it was the hard drive acting screwie, thought the laptop had a virus or something, so i wiped the hard drive and installed a clean windows vista home premium. After the install it tried to boot, but was stuck on a blank screen after the windows vista loading screen. The mouse cursor was present and i could move the cursor around a bit, tried restarting a few times and ended up getting a fatal error (BSOD) Tried reinstalling a few times and still the same thing happened with the blank screen. but no bsod.

So i tried going to windows xp, and the cd didnt even finish loading before i got another BSOD, which is strange, it wasnt even in windows and i got BSOD. Well, i got to wrap this up, its late, got school tomorrow.

So right now im just going to ask this forum if you know any way i can scan the laptop for problems, any freeware out there you think is useful for this situation?
If you have any suggestions, please leave a reply.

Thanks

-David

Advertisements