Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Copying without pasting, saves in temporary files?

• Please log in to reply

CBennett

CBennett

• Pip
  • 4 posts
So, I (thought) I copied and pasted some photos from a memory card to a folder I created on my computer (which runs on Windows Vista). I then formatted the memory card, thinking that I had the photos on my computer. Unfortunately, when I looked in the folder, there was nothing there... I searched my whole computer, and they are nowhere to be found. I really desperately need these photos, so I'm hoping that someone can tell me a way to get them back. I'm absolutely positive I copied them, although apparently I didn't paste them or I wouldn't have a problem. Since I copied them, could they potentially be saved in some sort of temporary files folder?

Thanks for helping :)
Caitlin

Advertisements

Deon

Deon

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Try pasting now and see if they happen to still be on the clipboard.

Other than that, you could try searching if you remember the file names, but you might be out of luck.

Remember that if you have something on the clipboard (such as files), adding another thing will clear the clipboard.
eg: if you accidentally copy some text, or knock the 'print screen' button on the keyboard, it will remove what's on the keyboard and replace it with the new contents.

From memory, Windows doesn't copy from Memory Card > Temp folder > Actual folder except in special cases, and usually only with extremely large files.

I hate to say it, but remember to always double-check you have a copy before you delete the originals! :)

ersatz

ersatz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi there,

It's a bummer when that happens isn't it? It's very important you do not take any more pictures or use that memory card at all. When a file is deleted it is usually just renamed by one character, and waits to be overwritten. Try this software:
LINK

Tell me what you get, good luck! :)

-Tony

Deon

Deon

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Isn't data recovery pretty hit and miss with flash memory because of the way it overwrites?

Sure with a HDD you've got a great chance of recovery if you don't re-write to any of the sectors, but you don't have that safety for flash or volatile memory.

Either way, I feel the OP will try anything to get the pictures back!

Good luck :)

CBennett

CBennett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah, Deon, I feel like a [bleep] for not double-checking. Believe me, no one could kick me harder than I'm kicking myself!

Unfortunately, Ersatz, I took more photos before I realized what happened, so that option's out the door...

Thank you both for trying to help, but it sounds like I'm out of luck on this one...

ersatz

ersatz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Did you at least try the recovery software, in case a few could be saved?

ersatz

ersatz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Also,

How did you format the memory card? Through the camera, or through the computer?

CBennett

CBennett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I actually am in the process of trying the software, with little hope though. I formatted it through the camera.

ersatz

ersatz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Alright, well I wish you luck, but that's all I got. At least in the future you won't make the same mistake :)

CBennett

CBennett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yep, lesson learned.