Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformat preloaded Windows XP (no discs)

• Please log in to reply

llm57

llm57

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I have a Gateway 550GR with windows xp sp2. Windows XP came preloaded with no discs. I would like to reformat and reinstall win xp but am unable to access Full System Recovery when I use F11. It was reformatted once before and it appears there is only 1 large partition. I did find the windows .cab files and would like know if it is possible to create my own discs using these files and how would I do it.

I would appreciate any help as it has a virus I am tired of fighting (it disabled my internet and seems to be taking over the computer). Its time clean it up anyway I already saved anything important.

Thanks

Please be patient if I am slow to respond... using my daughters computer when I can after work.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
System Recovery Using Gateway System Recovery Windows XP
http://support.gatew...XPMC0su17.shtml

Additional Software Information
http://support.gatew...MLXPH2asi.shtml

?

llm57

llm57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for responding. Just wanted to let you know I have tried some of the things the links suggested. So far this is what I have found... The file suggested in the links to activate the F11 key (C:\Cabs\RemoveCountdown\RemoveCountDown.exe) and the file to access System Recovery (C:\Windows\Sminst\Start.exe) don't exist on my computer. The Applications and Drivers CD suggested do not include operating system files. I still have some of the other things to try and will let you know what is going on.

I do have a copy of Recovery Console but it has not taken care of the problem of the internet connection. If I do the format on it will that reinstall the operating system even though the partition needed for it is non-existant.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated... I feel lost without my computer :)