Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

video tearing ..hardware or software problem?

• Please log in to reply

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi,I am getting alot of video tearing when watching streams on sites like youtube,justin.tv etc.I have an asus radeon hd 4670 with the latest drivers from the asus site,which I recently re-installed to try and correct this issue.I have also ran codec tweak tool to check for broken codecs....It is mainly with streaming videos this happens but some of my videos also sometimes tear.I have onboard nvidia graphics integrated in the motherboard but in my bios I am running graphics from pci-e.the frame buffer rate in bios is set at 256 which is the highest it can be.I am not sure if this is a hardware issue or wether it is to do with codecs.I never used to get video tearing with my old integrated graphics.Any help is apreciated! :)

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
It's odd that it would do it just during normal video play like youtube. I would say try a couple different drivers if you haven't already. If that doesn't solve the problem, the card is probably going out on you.

You can get the older versions of the drivers for the 4600 series for XP Home/Pro HERE Remember to uninstall the card in the device manager before you install a different driver.

Edited by Ferrari, 04 March 2010 - 08:34 PM.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi Ferrari,Offline I use the KMPlayer and have a couple of videos that have this screen tearing effect,but on sites like youtube I get it with lots of vids....Could it be do to with the original encoding of the video and not a fault at my end?I was also using the drivers from ati for the card and realised that Asus have their own drivers for the card and so changed the drivers over to Asus drivers to see if it would help,but it didnt,will it be safe to use ati drivers instead of asus drivers?.I have actually been considering uninstalling the card and all drivers and re-installing the onboard card to see if I still get this effect,it would be a bit of a hassle though and the tearing although annoying,it isn't happening with every video so I could live with it!Another thing that makes me think it could be to do with the original encoding is that the tearing happens at the exact same positions at the same timings on the video.If it is safe to use ati's drivers I will switch back to using theirs.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi again,I had a look at some vids on my parents laptop and the same tearing effect is happening so I think it may not be a graphics problem afterall.I had a look around the web and seemingly screen tearing is a problem to do with flash vids.Most of my offline vids are playing fine.I found this online http://www.unitzeroo...screen-tearing/ I havent read it yet so don't know how old it is but this is the effect I am getting so it might just be something to do with flash vids.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yeah if the same videos are doing the same thing on your parents laptop, then it must be the video I would presume, or the way that video's code interacts with adobe flash. Good thinking. :)