Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WPA PSK security

• Please log in to reply

njay

njay

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi. Sorry, another thread.

So, at my mother's place, we always had a wireless internet connection (computers are upstairs, connection is downstairs). It was installed on my old laptop and our old PC.
Now, I moved out, my mum has a different PC, blah blah. I formatted my laptop and forgot it had the set-up info of the internet connection on it. Now I can get everything to work on my mum's PC (it finds the network via the wireless receiver, and it all looks okay), it just doesn't actually retrieve an IP address etc, so the connection doesn't go through. It never gives an error message, it just keeps trying.

So I'm pretty sure it's because I secured the network and need to enter the WPA PSK key, which is unfortunately gone. Is there any way I can reset the router to factory defaults? Or un-secure the network? I mean, I have everything there: router, receiver, installation disk... The 'reset' button on the back of the router didn't seem to do it.

What I'm wondering about is where is this info stored?? Where is the network name and the security key stored? It's not on any computer any more, so have I locked myself out for good?

Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
Try this ... Disconnect everything from the router except the power. Press and hold the reset button for at least 15 seconds, (some take up to 30). The lights usually flash a bit when the process is complete. Power the router down and back up. Plug an ethernet cable into port 1 on the router and the other into the RJ45 jack (NIC card) on a computer. On the computer, launch Internet Explorer, type in the address "192.168.1.1" (not the quotes) and press [Enter]. With any luck you should get the router menu.

Note that the 192.168.1.1 can vary depending on the Make and Model of the router.

njay

njay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks for the reply.
I can try most of that, but I don't have a cable that can go from the router to the PC, 'cos they're simply too far away from each other. I'll have to do it via the wireless receiver, but I suppose that shouldn't be an issue, because it picks up the signal just fine.

If this works, it means I did the reset wrong; I kept all cables in

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
After you have reset the router you should be able to get online, wirelessly. you can choose a 63 character pass phrase here:
https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Create a text file on a USB thumb drive, pasting the key above.This prevents any errors in typing the pass phrase.

Log in to the router, choose WPA/WPA2, AES if you can, choose the SSID, and use the key from the text file. Save you changes and you're good to go.