Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RDC Help

• Please log in to reply

AroundTheWay

AroundTheWay

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello gentlemen,
I was wondering if the kind participants of this forum could assist me with a little problem that I'm having. I live in an extremely small apartment, and on top of that, I share it with another person. The apartment is extremely organized, however even so there is very little room. I have a netbook (windows7) and a home PC (XP Pro) that I use, however I haven't been able to make room for the home PC's monitor. So last night, in the throws of a mescaline episode, I decided to set up my PC without a monitor, and use RDC to access it through my netbook. This made sense to me because it would allow me use the things on the PC that the netbook isn't equipped with (RAM, DVD-R, etc.) while having it tucked neatly away in some corner. So, I got everything configured, and it works like a dream! I can now use my PC through my netbook. The problem I'm having with it though... is that whenever I turn off the netbook and close the connection... I'm unable to remote back in without first logging back into the PC. The problem may lie with the fact that when I RDC in, it logs out of windows of the PC. But, at work we use RDC all the time to access different servers without this problem. So, my question is what do I need to do to set that up? I'm at work right now, and unfortunately due to certain mind altering circumstances I don't recall what was happening in more detail. I do remember with certainty however that I was having to pull my monitor back out over and over again all night long and it was getting pretty frustrating. I just want it setup to where I can leave my PC on (with no monitor, keyboard, or mouse plugged in), and RDC in and out using my netbook without any fuss. Any help that you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. I don't believe the PC has any SP's for XP yet. (my computer somehow became a transmitter station for ghosts of pre-Colombian Native American shamens so I had to format recently) I was thinking I may need to install a different OS that would support something like this, however I didn't get around to playing with it too much last night so I'm not sure yet.

I just remembered something! Right now, I'm using a temporary Ad hoc network between the netbook and the PC. Whenever I log out of RDC, the PC disconects from the network, and thats why I have to go back to the PC and reconnect before I can RDC back in. the netbook is the host in the connect, perhaps thats the problem? Like I said, I havn't really had the chance to try very much yet... I was just wondering if anyone could give me a leg up in the trouble shooting process.

Edited by AroundTheWay, 05 March 2010 - 12:10 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how are you closing the RDP session? just xing out of the window? or start>disconnect?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I just remembered something! Right now, I'm using a temporary Ad hoc network between the netbook and the PC. Whenever I log out of RDC, the PC disconects from the network, and thats why I have to go back to the PC and reconnect before I can RDC back in. the netbook is the host in the connect, perhaps thats the problem? Like I said, I havn't really had the chance to try very much yet... I was just wondering if anyone could give me a leg up in the trouble shooting process

YES! that's the problem...you're basically taking down the network every time you turn the netbook off. so there's no authentication process going on to let the connection happen

AroundTheWay

AroundTheWay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hahaha... it seems so obvious when you say it like that!

Thanks fellas!