Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ntldr is missing

• Please log in to reply

azorr

azorr

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a system here that I am trying to repair. The user claims that after an error, restarted and came up in the boot that there was no hard drive to boot from. Computer has 2 WD 80gig sata HDs. After going through to cmos, I got it to recognize the HDs, but now in the boot it says

NTLDR is missing
Press CRT+ALT+DEL to restart

I tried to boot from the Win2000 CD to run a repair, but the error comes before the boot. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is this windows 2000? or XP. I don't kow what the profile OS (your's or the person you are helping)

and you must have the boot order wrong. Set it to boot from CD first.

azorr

azorr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry, I forgot to say, we are working in Windows 2000 Professional, and I have tried the boot order as CD then HD, and also CD only

azorr

azorr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Update: Somewhere in my tinkering I have lost my CD drive, so I will get that running and then I assume I will be able to run a repair?

azorr

azorr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
A little more info as I have dug into the background of this machine. It seems that they set this up as a raid with the two drives, with 2 partitions, one of 10 gig for system files and then one of approx 150gig for other info. I believe the problem is that the raid is no longer set up correctly, and honestly I don't know how to repair it. If you know how, please tell me.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what kind of raid....something does not sound right about that

two physical drives? Two partitions each (for four logical drives)? not evenly partitioned?

I need more info....

harddrive make model and size
motherboard
disk/raid controllers

azorr

azorr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
MOBO: Asus PC-DL,
Processors: Dual Intel XEON 2.4 with HyperThreading enabled
HDs: 2 Western Digital Caviar 80gig SATA drives
Drive Setup: I believe it was set up with RAID-0 disk striping, and there was a total of 2 logical drives, one of 10gig, and one of approx 150gig.

I am to the point that an acceptable solution to this would be try and save the data and reinstall. If it is not possible to fix the current setup, do you have any suggestions and trying to get data off the disks before reformating and reinstalling?

I hope this info helps.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You have got to be kidding me....are you saying that someone set up a RAID (stripping) and did not do backups? So the data is critical?

Where the heck is that smilie smashing it's head against the wall when you need it?

http://www.linksysin...les/banging.gif

First, if the raid was striped, and one drive has died, forget it...the data is done gone to the data cemetery.

If both drives are still functional, you can try to hit ctrl-f while bios is doing hardware detection and see if you can get in and choose REBUILD ARRAY.

If that does not work, there's not a whole lot we can do with a RAID type 0

No one should use RAID 0 for anything they want to keep.

azorr

azorr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Both drives are still functional, so I will try the ctrl+f and see if it does me any good. The info is not super critical, but it would be very nice to have, but hey, life goes on without it. Thanks a lot for your help and time.