Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dynex adaptor drops connection

• Please log in to reply

rodrigkb

rodrigkb

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I posted previously in the wrong forum so I am trying agian. I brought an old Dell gx240 back to life running on Windows 2K so my kids have another PC besides mine to bang on. I reloaded the OS. Updated through the eithernet conncection and then installed a Dynex DX-BUSP G adaptor to connect to my NetGear router. I have the following issue.

The softwear installed properly
The icon shows and I can see my network
I can connect to the internet
MSN, Google etc
Then.......
If I try to download anything, apps or play media....
The adaptor looses the connection to the router
I click dianostics and the signal strenght is excellent - it sees my neighbors networks all around too. However, there is not IP address recognized, no MAC, nothing seen by the adaptor.
I click on my network and click connect and I get "Local Area Connection 2, Network Cable is Unplugged"
I restart the PC and everthing works again until I try to download wirelessly.

Now this is an old pc--1.5 chip and 256 ram. I did not have any intention of upgrading so my kids can detroy it.

Could this be a resource issue? More Ram needed? Nothing in the Dynex maual indicates this could be the case, but it always seems to happen with a download or when web based apps start to run. I had to run Windows updates connected directly to the router.

Can anyone help?

Advertisements