Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

program problems

• Please log in to reply

shoyou

shoyou

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
computer:toshiba laptop vista

Many programs won't open, when i click on them this window appear "open with" in which it ask for me to choose a program to open that file, by the way the icon i click on isn't a file.

i try choosing firefox, the window open and it stay blank and i was ask to download the program, from the program file(the folder which i had all my program on).

on another try i open IE, i was ask to open another program with the window "open with" appearing, IE was open showing a blank screen.

on game, nothing opens.

i try system restore and the same happen, i run the vista in safe mode and the same thing happen.

i try to run sfc \scannow, but a window appear stating "application not found". The same things when i type in the path to system restore in the run window. But when i search for the file rstrui.exe in the window system 32 i was able to find it.3

Right now i can't even open any program, can't run any thing.
i did try to restart vista and try system restore that way, but it doesn't work either.

Advertisements

ersatz

ersatz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
What extension are these things you are trying to open? (.exe, .mp3, etc..)

Try Explorer.

Open file.
Open with.
Navigate to: C:\Windows\explorer

ersatz

ersatz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Oops I pushed post to early. :) :)

Sorry, just to add:

Post a screenshot:

To take a screenshot:
  • Click your Print Screen key on your keyboard. It is normally at the top of the keyboard, in between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock (Pause/Break) key.
  • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint
  • On the blank area of your Paint screen, press CTRL + V to paste, or at the top, Edit > Paste.
  • At the top, File > Save as.
  • Save as file type "JPEG" and save it somewhere memorable.
  • Attach it to your next reply.

ersatz

ersatz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Wow.. now I'm pushing it (3 posts in a row!)

I've done some research.. if the above don't work:

Could be a bootsector virus.

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

-Tony

P.S. This is the last one, I promise :)

Edited by ersatz, 05 March 2010 - 09:15 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
:) :) :)

::Ferrari stands back and laughs at ersatz:: :) jk

ersatz

ersatz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
:) :)

:)

Hehe.

shoyou

shoyou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
i am not too sure it is a virus. My brother did told me last morning that windows keep popping up saying that the computer was unprotected. he ignore it and then the game he was playing was opening a lot of window. like maybe new window opening and it's all the same and he didn't do it. then a message pop up saying the game must be delete and then there was a message asking do you want to delete this game (the name of the game) there was only two choice "yes" or "cancel" and he press yes. this game have been play before, so i think the game did not cause this.

then last night my mom just update that firefox work, after choosing it from the open with list the browser appear and you let it load and it work. But program like painting did not work so i could not get a picture. But than the open with window is the program you use when a file can not fine app. to open the file.
and erunt won't work, it keep saying cannot create file.
i did not file this on virus because i was not sure it is a virus causing this.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
All of the below quote describes malware problems. (Viruses). You should head to the malware forums like ersatz suggested, they will help you there.

i am not too sure it is a virus. My brother did told me last morning that windows keep popping up saying that the computer was unprotected. he ignore it and then the game he was playing was opening a lot of window. like maybe new window opening and it's all the same and he didn't do it. then a message pop up saying the game must be delete and then there was a message asking do you want to delete this game (the name of the game) there was only two choice "yes" or "cancel" and he press yes. this game have been play before, so i think the game did not cause this.

Please Read: IMPORTANT
==============================================================
You may have an infection. You should be checked out by one of our Malware Experts.
Read and complete our Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide and if your problem still
persists, Start a Posted Image in the Malware Forum. Once cleared by our Malware
Staff, if you still continue to have problems, then return back to THIS topic and we can
trouble shoot further.
==============================================================

shoyou

shoyou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
i guess, no need anymore. i figure out how to make malwarebytes anti-malware run and it clean the virus off.