Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Here's a Real Challenge!

• Please log in to reply

professortim

professortim

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all - found this while searching for a solution. Want a crack at a challenging problem?

Short version - Sony Vaio VGN T370P - 4 years old - got a virus - couldn't clear it (don't remember name) - did a restore from partition D, still had a problem - did a restore from CD, virus cleaned. Installed all current drivers, checked BIOS, etc - everything works, EXCEPT when I plug in a projector the notebook freezes (the computer recognizes the projector and the projector shows the image fine, just frozen) - Talked to Sony tech support and installed some more recommended drivers - same problem - sent notebook to Sony repair, they said "motherboard, $700" - I said "easy excuse, no"

Again, everything works fine EXCEPT when I connect a projector (which I have done about 500 times before) - same reaction when connecting an external monitor.

Want to take a shot? I would be indebted to whoever gets this figured out!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is either a driver issue or an incompatibility so far as software is concerned, such as Service Pack 3 for example.
There is every chance it could be a mainboard issue indirectly, such as an issue with the VGA port for example.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you format the hard disk and installed everything from scratch or was it some operating system repair that you did?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
What does device manager look like?

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it may be a IRQ conflict...
what else do you have connected to the computer...
what happens if you boot up with the projector already connected...