Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Stop: c000021a Fatal System Error / IDE Disk Read Test Failure

• Please log in to reply

sboroka

sboroka

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I got a "BSOD Stop: c000021a Fatal System Error. The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a satus of 0xc000012f (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down."

I press F8 and tried to put in safe mode, configure back to the best time, and all the other things, but it goes back to the BSOD.

I was able to run a diagnostic and it says that: IDE Disk S/N = WD-WXE405259996
Read Test failed. Error Codes: 0F00:0244 Msg: Block 130172511 & 146861181: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected. Also Error Codes: 0F00:0240 Msg: Block 130172512 & 146861182: Address mark not found or media error.

Verify Test failed.Error Code: 0F00:1A44 Msg: Blocks 130172511 & 146861181: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected. Error Code 0F00:1A40 Msg: Blocks 130172512 & 146861182: Address mark not found or media error.

I have the XP cd but it doesn't boot up and it is in the first position to boot. I don't know how to get to the command area to put the chkdsk/f/r in. All I get besides the F8 & F10 screens is the BSOD.

Has my computer has had it? If so, I would like to somehow retrieve my data for the last 6 months which hadn't been backed up.

The only new hardware would be from a Nikon Coolpix Camera CD that was installed.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Here,s the microsoft answer.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;156669

From your diagnostic it tells me you are getting bad sectors in the HD and they are going bad where windows put the boot order.

I would try the "last known good configuration" if you can get to it from F8.

To boot from a XP CD you need to get into the bios ( usually by hitting the delete key while the computer is booting up), then setting the boot order to boot from the CDrom drive first, then the hard drive. You use the arrow keys and the enter key to move around in the bios. Once set to boot from the CD, you can insert a XP CD and restart to boot from it. Then your best bet is to do a repair install. You will not lose any data this way.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If this does not work and you still want to save any data, it is time to stop working on it and install the hard drive in another computer so you can copy all your files to the other computer. You may have take ownership of the files to be able to save them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

http://www.winxptuto...m/ownership.htm

If you cannot access the files in another computer the hard drive has gone bad.

SRX660

sboroka

sboroka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for all of the great information. Well, the short story....I tried everything but nothing worked. I figured the drive was shot, so I took it out to replace it with a new one I bought today, but the new one was not the right kind, so I put the old hard drive back and decided to try to reboot it one more time. I read the instructions and followed the trail of articles that you provided and guess what?????? it worked! It was easy to do and I didn't lose any data! I am so appreciative of all of you on this site and the wealth of knowledge that you provide. Thanks again, you're a life saver.