Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing display driver

• Please log in to reply

tjflow

tjflow

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have recently reformatted my computer, I have a hp pavilion desktop, AMD anthlon 3200+ 2.19 GHz processor, 512MB of ram, ASUS A7N8V-LA motherbored, and a ATI 2400 pro video card with windows XP home edition version 2002 service pack 3. I reformatted my computer and reinstalled all of my drivers and now I don't have any display drivers besides the generic VGA compatible video controller. I've tried downloading the drivers for my video card from ATI website and still only have the generic one. Also I am missing a file, it is the qcap.dll file. It wouldn't download from my XP CD when I reformatted. Is the missing file the reason I can't get my system to work properly? How can I fix this problem? any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advanced,
Tyler.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit tjflow? and welcome to GtoG..

The qcap.dll file is associated with Direct X. Installing the latest version should fix that. Regarding the video card not being recognized, that is odd. You have downloaded the latest driver from the ATI site, so perhaps go into the properties of the generic driver and try to tell it to use your ATI driver, (point the video card driver to where you've saved the ATI). If that still doesn't work, then take the card out ot its slot, clean off any dust and re-install it, (obviously the system is off when you do this.. :) ) If after that, your system still doesn't recognize the card, you may need to replace it.

Good luck

tjflow

tjflow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've tried reinstalling directX 9.0 and it doesn't replace the file. I don't know why? Any suggestions?

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
You'll probably need to correct the display problem 1st. The standard video driver may not support DirectX..