Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SCSI driver confusion

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sorry, my bad agin, just re-read your initial posts saying the IRQ is 19. I'd overlooked the fact that this is the pro version of XP & therefore uses stupid IRQ numering system.

Ok, I can find very little info on this card as it is not directly supported by adaptec.
Does the card have a bios? ie can you press CTRL+A just before windows loads (when the scsi is doing the probe) to access the config settings for the card?

Edited by Samm, 25 May 2005 - 05:53 PM.

Advertisements

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
So this is what I see. Adaptec AIC-7850 PCI SCSCI Controller PCI Slot 4 PCI bus 0 device 11 function 0 IRQ 19

When I looked in the BIOS under the PCI Config settings it only indicated IRQ settings as 3-4-5-7-10-11-12-14-15 which could be reset under the Manual adjustment, otherwise it’s on automatic. I also saw PIRQ for 0-1-2-3-
I have a basic understanding that IRQ addresses are locations for devices that the computer (bus?) manages.
I guess I’m getting a little out of my league here but I like to learn for the future so it won’t happen again.

I reset the little wheel to be at the 4 position and I don’t see any other setting devices there. There is one unused port that is off to the side and is a smaller plug than the two SCSI ports on the flatbed.

The way the scanners are now set up is that the Minolta has the terminator plug in the one plug in socket, the cable with the latch in the other socket runs to the port labeled SCSI Port 1 and SCSI Port 2 has a cable running from the flatbed scanner to the Adaptec card in the computer. There was no change with the cables reversed either.

I tried the Control A command and it seemed to have no effect at start up. Did I do it at the wrong moment or is it just the DEL command to go into the BIOS that you were referring to here?

;) :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, first of all before I forget, you should have the cables connected like this :

cable 1 goes from scsi adapter to PORT 1 on the flatbed.
cable 2 goes from PORT 2 on the flatbed to PORT 1 on the minolta.

I know you said it has made no difference so far, but best to have it cabled correctly so at least we know that won't be causing a problem later on.

I've been reading the manual for the minolta. It says in there, that if you have the terminator dip switch (no. 4) set to enabled (ON), then you don't need an external terminator in the other port.

You could try therefore removing the terminator or leaving terminator in but disabling the dip switch. See if this helps at all.

The manual also said, that there are two versions of your particular minolta scanner. Only the ones that have a blue & white 'G3 compatible' badge on them will work with XP.

The bios :
When you first power the computer up, you should see the POST test running (ie memory check & drive detection). At this point you can press the DEL key to enter the bios. This is not the bios I am refering to though.
When the drives have been detected etc and just before windows starts to load, do you see the scsi probe (where the scsi adapter name & scsi devices are listed) on screen?
If so, you need to press the 'CTRL' + 'A' keys simultaneously at this point.

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Ok, I do not see any SCSI devices loading before Windows opens. I have tried several times to use the Control A signal and gotten no response, nor have i seen anything that looks like it would cue me either.

Although this model of scanner does not have the G3 sticker on it, it came from someone who used it with a Mac. I was using it with Win98 and I am positive I had WinXP running with it when my son had it set up last year. He can't seem to remember what it was that he did though. Aaaaarrrggghh.

So once again, no scanners are being seen at all, though I did scan with the flatbed yesterday before we changed the settings around. I have tried it with the Minolta terminator plugged in and switched off or on and likewise not plugged in. I got no action.

Although the flatbed has not reappeared in the My Computer section (or Device Manager) the Minolta has returned in the Device Manager with the yellow question mark.
Somehow it seems no near and yet so far. I'll ask my son to review what we've been through to see if anything jumps out at him. You got any other ideas? :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, what was the 'probe' you refered to earlier a couple of times?

I think the key here is to concentrate on one device at a time. Try disconnecting one of the 2 scanners. Make sure the remaining scanner is attached to the end of the cable & is terminated is some way. I would recommend therefore, leaving the minolta connected & remove the flatbed. This way when you come to reconnect the second scanner, you won't have to move or reconfigure the minolta.

The other thing you could try at the same time is : boot windows in safe mode, go into device manager & remove all references to the 2 scanners. (leave the scsi adapter in there as this appears to be working). Also uninstall any software that either of the 2 scanners installed themselves. So leave any 3rd party software you loaded seperately, just uninstall any apps that were installed along with the scanner drivers.

Reboot in normal mode & let windows redetect & reinstall the solitary scanner.

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
There is a scanner or scsi probe that pops up when these items are not being read. It might be part of the Scanwizard software that came with the Microtek flatbed.

At the moment this is the situation.

I have disconnected the flatbed as you suggested. I connected the Minolta directly to the Adaptec card and got the following results:

Searching for Scan32.exe

Can't load msmgr32.dll

When I open Photoshop it hangs and the message is: Unable to continue because of hardware or system error. Sorry but this is unrecoverable. There is a Quit button and the only choice is to hit it and the otherwise begining openeing of Photoshop then closes.

When I open the ScanSuite software I get the following messages:
Unsupported capability
ICAP_BRIGHTNESS
ICAP_THRESHOLD
ICAP_XSCALING
ICAP_YSCALING

Sometimes there is an attempt for the Dimage ScanDual software to begin to open but it doesn't.

Without the Microtek connected the Scanwizard software does not respond. I can uninstall it all again if you think that will help, but in my experience in the past both the Microtek software for the flatbed and the Dimage Scan Dual have coexisted ok.

So the Minolta is the only hardware on the SCSI card now and it has the terminator installed. I'll try it without after I send this but I have my doubts. Each time I try the scanner I reboot the computer as that has been the instruction in the past, that it must be turned on as the computer boots for it to be seen at all.
:tazz:

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I have tried with and without the termination plug. I have downloaded software from the Konica-Minolta site and seen the same thing you did about the G3 sticker. Maybe I'm deluded but I'm certain it was running at the same time as the flatbed less than a year ago when the computer now being rebuilt with the AN7 mobo was up and running with WinXP.
I have uninstalled the Microtek software.
I have tried opening Photoshop and Import and gotten this:
The Dimage Scan Dual start window opens then right away a message with the red circle and an X in the middle that reads: An Unexpected Error has occurred. Stop Processing. When I hit the button another message appears saying: Could not continue because there is no scanner insatalled.
Back to Square One.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. Not sure if you have done this exactly as follows, or not, as I was a bit unclear in my last post.

When I suggested you uninstalled the drivers/software, I meant you to do this with no scanners attached at all.
Is this what you did or not?
Also, did you remove the device manager entries in safe mode?

I must admit that I am dubious about the minolta working in XP. Sorry to change my mind, but maybe you should start with the flatbed instead of the minolta. At least we know this one is compatible.
No need to alter the flatbeds ID or anything, just terminate it as it will be the only device on the chain.

So once again, unplug the scsi cable from the card to disconnect both scanners. Boot up normally & uninstall photoshop this time & any other related scanner software.
Reboot in safe mode, remove scanner entries from device manager.
Shut down, connect scsi cable & the flatbed scanner (terminated).
Boot up & install the flatbed's driver etc in the normal way.

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
So I did as you specified. I unplugged the scsi cable from the card. I booted up normally and uninstalled Photoshop. and all other obvious scanner related software. I rebooted in safe mode. I didn't see any entries for the scanners in the Device Mgr to remove. I shut down and reconnected the scsi cable from the flat bed to the Adaptec card directly, with that scanner terminated. I booted up and reinstalled the flatbed software and Photoshop again.

Well, the one thing I noticed that was weird is that in the Device Manager it now shows me as having six Scanmaker 6EL flatbed scanners! I saw this before the great uninstall but thought I might have reinstalled the scanner software more than one or uninstalled and reinstalled incorrectly. This time the multiple entries is the result of a single installation.

I have been using the flatbed scanner, but the Scanwizard software isn't showing up in Photoshop this time, it only lists the scanner its self and gives me the minimal interface with it. I can go through the Programs menu and get the Scanwizard and so on, but usually the scanners softeware (and this applies to the Minolta when it is installed) shows up in the Import command in Photoshop. The scanner also seems to be remarkable slower than I recall. Could this have anything to do with the resetting of the scsi chain (which I did not re-changes as you suggested) Just a guess.

I'm sure you must be getting tired of this, but if you have any observations or suggestions I'm open to them. I once had a seperate partition with Win98 running on it and ran the Minolta there, but I know I have had it up on WindowsXP in the past year along with the Microtec and it certainly did't have five extra entries. What's going on? Any guess? :tazz: ;)

Tuiv-Siegen

Tuiv-Siegen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Peterrex,

im a German Technican reading this thread because we have a Minolta Dimage Dual Scan I here. After a PC change from NT to XP i have to install it under XP and cant find any drivers, sorry about my bad english!
So i search the Web and get also the info with the G3 Sticker, but the Sign is only on the Box, not on the Scanner himself! So if you dont have the original Box i dont know how to figure out whitch version do you have, maybee the Minolta Support can. Our Scanner is a Modell F-2400, thats the only info i can give to you.
XP finds a Minolta 2882 Scanner with a yellow questionmark, i deactivate it now because XP allways find it new, and you dont need it anyway, but if XP find it probably your SCSI line is OK.
I Download the latest NT4 Software, 2.01 i think, install it and add photoshop 6.0
and it works fine! I wonder that it only works with Photoshop, that was a case i never had, but no wonder in computer buisiness......

Maybee your Problem is that both Scanners have a Twain Interface with same Files to use. The Minolta install these Files, if we can trust the Manual!

DSDual.ds
DSDual.du
DSDual.hlp
dsd_tw.ini
Twain.dll
Twain_32.dll
Twunk_16.exe
Twunk_32.exe
readme.txt

If your second Scanner Microtec i think, installs the same Files or Modify it, only the last installed device will work.
Till your install/uninstall tests you have the Microtec Scanner 6x to choice?
Uninstall all Scanner Software and search the Registry for remained entrys and delete themt, thats the way i would try.

Greetings from Germany an god luck.... :tazz:
Torsten

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, well I've possibly found the solution to the multiple entries in device manager. Follow this link for the fix from Microsoft (Oh yes, it's an XP issue funnily enough!):

http://support.micro...com/kb/q311907/

I recommend that you create a system restore point before editting the registry just in case.

Let me know if that makes any difference to anything.

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I’m Baaack!

I have disconnected all hardware. I have cleaned the registry. I have uninstalled all the scanner software and Photoshop. I got rid of the multiple entries, probably by cleaning out the registry.

Now I have reinstalled the Microtek flatbed scanner and terminated it. I reset it’s SCSI address to 6 where it last worked best. I reattached all cables. I reinstalled Photoshop and the newest versions of Scan Maker and Scan Wizard.

Again Photoshop cannot find the scanner in the Software although it is listed in the Import menu of Photoshop. Also listed is the Scanner it’s self which does open and does scan, but somewhat slowly.

All this is really befuddling me. I want to have the Minolta Dimage scanner running as well, as I intend this computer to be focused on image processing and management of still image files.

I confess I am a bit confused by the conflicts involving 32bit files (such as Twain32 and others perhaps .dll files or drivers referring to 32) It never used to be so difficult to do this. Is it the newer computer setup with the older scanner and software or what. I feel like I’m spending too much time fiddling with the equipment and not enough with what I need to do with it.

Simultaneously I am now about to configure the new AN7 with the AMD64 3500+ cpu I assembled yesterday to handle the multimedia tasks and video files. I’ll be back for advice about that before long.

Photoshop can’t find Microtek (only scanner installed)
Probe comes up “Scanner List”
ID=0
Scanner =ScanMaker X6EL
Ver=1.40
Interface card = Still Image Device
Info button brings up:Interface Card MS-STI
Interface ID=Still Image Device
Base Address=0
Status=The interface card is ready

So for the moment, even if I put aside my desire to have the Minolta film scanner (which I really do want) for some reason the relationship between Photoshop and the flatbed scanner is not quite there and is slower than before. I have, by the way, created restore points, thank you.

;) :tazz: ;)

Edited by peterrex, 02 June 2005 - 01:02 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, been to adobes website. They mention something about the scanmaker scaner having 2 different drivers - isis and twain. Do you have both of these installed & if so can you switch between them in photoshop?

If you're not sure about the twain, see if the file twain32.dll is in the windows folder anywhere. Then look in windows folder for twain or twain_32 folder. Inside this one should be at least one *.ds file.

Also found (in microtek forum) that a lot of people have problems with XP & scanwizard software. But the scanner does work using XPs own twain driver. One report also says that the scanwizard software corrupts the twain driver.

Sorry if you've already told me this before, but what service packs do you have loaded for xp? Microtek say you need sp1 at least.

You said the scanner was scanning (slowly), did you actually scan anything in or just do a preview?

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Yes I have both service packs 1 & 2 installed and I was able to save the scan but the interface was very dorky and limited, as well as the scanner being slower, compared to the at least somewhat better Scanmaker software. I'll look in the folders as you suggest. I'm aware of the twain and twain32 (whats the diff and why?) but not clear on where they're supposed to be or if additional items are needed. Not familiar with isis as a scan driver, but I'll look for it. Thanks. ;) :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
32 normally just denotes 32bit function as opposed to 16bit. The isis driver may only be relevant to other Adobe products. The point is, that there would appear to be 2 drivers (or methods) you can use to scan ie. twain & a 3rd party one installed by the scanner manufacturer.

Can you clarify - which interface was 'dorky & limited'?