Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Computer ... XP

• Please log in to reply

sherbear

sherbear

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Okay, so here's my issue: (MODs, please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong section).... It's kind of long, but PLEASE read.

My computer, for the past ... oh probably 6 weeks now, has been running INCREDIBLY slow when using the internet. Just to get here was a challenge.

I have a couple theories on why it's being slow, but I have no idea really.

1) we live in shared accommodation, we're on the main floor, people live in the basement. Sometime in January, they got an HD receiver and a PVR. .... So I don't know who'd be reading this and from where you'd be helping me. But our provider is SHAW (TV/Phone/Internet). Ever since they got that downstairs our internet has been lagging. not sure if that's connected.

2)we called shaw about it, they said that it was our router that would have been the problem ... except our router has been hooked up since september, and we've had NO problems. Only, again, started in January. So they are no help.

3) We have internet security, BitDefender ... 2010 i think. Most of the time when a page is going to be opening REALLY slow, you can see the status goes from Red (Online) to grey (offline). Then it'll just magically switch on when it feels like it, but still the internet runs slow.

So, .... just trying to go from one page to the next, takes ... longer than Dial-up slow sometimes, and I had dial up for many years. We use Firefox as our main browser ... IE is even slower. When it's going from page to page, I don't know what the icon is called, but it's like the white rectangle with the blue bar across the box. Kind of like, and exe program icon i think.

You can't run with two webpages open at the same time. That takes even longer. When I try, when the second page is ready, it re-opens the first page, even tho you didn't want it to.

I sure hope someone can help me. I'm in my last semester of my degree and it's very difficult to do online research!!!

Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is their service satellite or cable?
Is your service part of their service?
Did they reloacate anything when installing the HD?
Have you doen any diagnostics programs on your system since this all started?
Just to check something try this:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

sherbear

sherbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
It's cable service, and the way I understand it. They got hooked up first when they moved in. We moved in later, and hooked up on own own.

No idea about the relocating when they installed the HD (they aren't the easiest people to get along with)

and ... i'll do that last part now.

sherbear

sherbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Okay, so done and rebooted automatically and everything.

bit defender when out, took 3 minutes to load the window. ... and once the page loaded, turned on again. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

bit defender when out, took 3 minutes to load the window. ... and once the page loaded, turned on again

What do you mean by when out?
Did you disable bitdefender?

sherbear

sherbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Sorry, meant went out. Decided it wanted to go offline. Then when it wants to goes back online. Usually when it goes offline it'll take twice as long to load a window..... We bought originally bit defender 09, then my husband upgraded it to 10, probably back in October ... around there. He set it up, because I know nothing about virus scans, i'd have no idea how to disable it. Sorry.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not familiar with it but found these instructions
1. Move mouse arrow to the Bitdefender icon in the bottom right of the desktop. (The little pictures in the lower right corner. When the arrow is placed on the little picture, a caption appears that tells what it is.)

2. Double click the icon for BD.

3. When the BD window appears, move mouse arrow to the left side and click �Virus Shield�.

4. Move mouse arrow to the black check by �Virus Shield is enabled� and click.

5. The black works will change to red, �Virus Shield is disabled�.

6. Move mouse arrow to the top right corner and click the down arrows.

7. BD is now inactive.

8. To enable BD, do the same steps except click to enable.

sherbear

sherbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
sorry, went grocery shopping.

i don't have anything on the left hand side that is a simple check for virus shield.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you follow the directions and when you get to the point of the steps you can't follow then plrase take a screenshot and attach to your next reply.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

sherbear

sherbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
this is what is looks like:

Attached Thumbnails

• screen.JPG

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK try cicking on the Settings tab and see if the disable area is there.

sherbear

sherbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
?

Attached Thumbnails

• screen2.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope thats not going to be it.
Try clicking on the side tab marked Antivirus.

sherbear

sherbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
the 'real time protection enabled' ??

Attached Thumbnails

• screen3.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Real time protection means it run all the time. If you unclick it then you will have to do manual scans.
That would be a good place to start. At least then it is not active all the time. We can replace bitdefender if need to be with a free anti virus that should not cause this issue and is not so resource hunfry which will slow your system down.