Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't delete a file from my desktop...

• Please log in to reply

Mumps

Mumps

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
So, I have had this zip file on my desktop for a while, and ever since I tried to delete it for the first time, it just won't go away...

The file, when first downloaded worked fine. I extracted the files from within, and life was good. Then I deleted it. And the cat came back so to speak... Since I first tried to delete it, it appears to only exist as an icon on my desktop. The filesize is 0bytes, and I can't do anything with it.

I have had similar problems with zip or rar files, but usually either restarting the computer, or restarting windows explorer works just fine. But I would like to clean my desktop of all the junk I have on there, and that is the final piece to the puzzle.

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks! And if you must know, the zip was for an episode of the newest Batman cartoon series. That'll teach me for not using torrents for that one... haha

Advertisements

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Give this a try, it is freeware, called move on boot, and is found here: http://download.cnet...4-10397293.html

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Sometimes you ever wonder what happens with peoples computer problems they ask for help with? You take time to try to assist, and no response back.

dr_iton

dr_iton

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
If you had a message like this:

Posted Image

Or probably similar like this:
Cannot delete file: Access is denied
There has been a sharing violation.
The source or destination file may be in use.
The file is in use by another program or user.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

The best solution is Unlocker

How to use it?

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can download it here: Unlocker 1.8.9

Cheers

Edited by dr_iton, 13 March 2010 - 08:55 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Sometimes you ever wonder what happens with peoples computer problems they ask for help with? You take time to try to assist, and no response back

Don't fret over it. People get busy, forget, don't read their emails, forget where they posted, go on vacation, have jobs that are demanding, are caught up in exams, etc, etc, etc.