Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Limited or No Connectivity

• Please log in to reply

surveyer

surveyer

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello. I have a WRT160N router set up on an XP Pro computer with qwest msn broadband DSL. Have a Realtek card for the local area connection and Marvell Yukon for wireless that shows up as local area connection 5 in Network Connections. The Realtek is working fine but the Marvell Yukon shows "limited or no connectivity" and can't renew the IP address. Tried to manually key in an IP address but it runs very slow (584 sent, 4 received) and network magic also doesn't detect any wireless connections at all.

Is there an IP address that the wireless connection can get much better speeds with or are there other settings that need to be adjusted for this? Is it possible to have both connections working or does it have to be just one or the other?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You got it - your last sentence, surveyor. You mustn't have both connected at the same time.
Disconnect one and reboot. Also, when swapping from one to other, reboot.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Limited or No Connectivity go here and try the suggestion at the beginning to see if it helps. If not post back and we can continue on.

surveyer

surveyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi, and thanks very much for your replies, phillipcorcoran & rshaffer61.

I tried the release/renew and power cycling the modem. Neither made both get connected at the same time. Tried the power cycle a few times, also to the router, and I believe at one point it made it so that the realtek got limited connectivity and the marvell yukon got connected instead.

I removed the cable from the realtek card to the router and left the one for the marvel yukon connected. Now I am attempting to add an HP Pavilion laptop with Vista (and a Broadcom card) to the network and it's not connecting to the internet. It also showed something like ipv4 at local and ipv6 at limited for the status. Not sure what settings to look at and would appreciate some guidance on this.

surveyer

surveyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello. Tried the steps in this post, but where the OP's problem ended, mine is still not resolved. The OP solved his problem by removing Norton. I also tried that but still no connection to internet. I can post the results I got if someone can or is willing to work with me further on this, please?:)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are we talking more then one system?
One system will log in but other will not?
Have you tried the system that will not log in connected without the other connected at all?
Has it ever worked?

surveyer

surveyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi. It's 2 systems. I have a desktop PC and a laptop. The initial problem I had with the desktop PC was it had 2 nic cards (realtek and marvel yukon (wireless)), and one has limited connectivity while the other works fine. I disabled the realtek and removed the connection for it so the current one I'm using is the marvell yukon and the desktop PC connects fine. But when trying to add the laptop to that connection, it will show the limited connectivity. Also tried the Limited or No Connectivity steps with the laptop, no change.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The initial problem I had with the desktop PC was it had 2 nic cards (realtek and marvel yukon (wireless)), and one has limited connectivity while the other works fine.

Is one built on the motherboard and the other is a add on card?

surveyer

surveyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
No, neither card is built into the motherboard.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I guess I'm not understanding then. You have 2 network cards installed into one system?

Advertisements

surveyer

surveyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yes, there are 2 cards in the desktop PC.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this is a problem.
Each card needs a specific IRQ and if one is using it then the other cannot.
Why would you need two network cards in a single system?
Your system can only connect to the internet via one card at a time.

surveyer

surveyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yes, I realized that (phillipcorcoran also confirmed it in his reply) and removed the connection on one so only the marvell yukon is connected now. The laptop I'm adding to the network is the one that's having the limited or no connectivity mssg now. I think I might have to just assign it a static IP but will need to figure out one that works.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Disconnect desktop and try just the laptop. Does it connect then?

surveyer

surveyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yes, the laptop works when connected directly.

I was able to set it up with a static IP that works so now the laptop is connecting properly. Many thanks for the replies and help though, they're really much appreciated. :)