Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Compaq Restoration Help

• Please log in to reply

gshepp

gshepp

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a Compaq Presario 5000 with Windows ME. It's a few years old, and extremely low on memory, because it wont let me uninstall a lot of the old game programs on it. It's very slow because of this, and probably the viruses on it. There is nothing left I need on it, so I would like to start over anew.

If anyone can tell me step by step on how to retsore it so that everything except the OS is gone, please let me know. I'd like to use it again.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Did the system come with a restore CD or any drivers on CD?

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
lol, (in my opinion) me sucks, xp home is better...he11, 2000pro is better. dump the hd, get a nice sata with 80gigs, and another os. otherwise, just use the same me [bleep] and code you used before. if you dont have the cone, run Belarc advisor, it will give you licenced codes for os ect. then smash the hd into a hundred pieces with a sludge (its very reassuring). :tazz:

Nixx

Edited by nixx, 19 May 2005 - 08:12 PM.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
btw, why does it bleep out d1sk?

gshepp

gshepp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Believe me, I know ME sucks, but it wasnt my decision when we bought it awhile ago. My newer computer runs on XP Home. But I only found one ME CD.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Why are you concerned about preserving the OS on the hard drive if you have the windows CD anyway?

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
like I said, if you arnt concerned with keping the data thats already on there, just format and reinstall me (or get a new os).

Nixx

gshepp

gshepp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Oh yeah, never thought of that. I'd like to get a new OS, but I don't really have enough money for XP.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I have a Compaq that came with ME, and indeed it did suck. I put W2K Pro on it (full version oem I found for about $98.00 about a year ago) and it works fine. You can find W2K Pro oem for less than that now, and XP oem for just a little more. I found XP Pro oem for $99.00 about 5 months ago.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
I would suggest win 2000pro-its much more stable and better interface. also, XP home is a little cheater ($100). some licences have multiple uses, call up microsoft, give em the code and they'll tell you what you can do with it.

Nixx

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're other option is to buy a copy of win98se instead. You can get one second hand with a license for very little money these days. If your computer's quite old & not very fast, then this might be your best option. Also, it's a lot more stable that winME

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
Heh, yea, probably :0