Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP Home Edition Works in SAFE MODE Only

• Please log in to reply

amstuart

amstuart

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi:

Win XP Home Edition, running IE7, all security updates current. Was running AVG 9.0 but uninstalled and am trying a 31 day free trial of Kaspersky Anti-Viral/Malware which likewise found system clean. Symptoms started with frozen cursor/mouse (corded USB; no issues in Device Manager; uninstalled drivers, reinstalled on reboot). Then desktop wallpaper began showing the white background with Restore Active Desktop warning every few minutes. The only solution that worked in order to place a new wallpaper design was going into Display and selecting a new Windows template for the background. Malware Bytes Anti-Malware, Spyware Blaster, WinPatrol, Spybot S & D, SuperAntispyware, and Combofix.exe can't find any malware. I ran an online Kaspersky scan and nothing was found. At this point the computer can work in SAFE Mode with Networking: the cursor/mouse never freezes. Needlesstosay, running a PC in SAFE mode stinks as there is limited functionality. Thank you in advance for assisting me in getting this computer back into normal operating mode.
Defragged, scan disk ran, and temporary files cleaned with TFC.

Thank you in advance.

Adam

Edited by amstuart, 08 March 2010 - 03:14 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have a windows xp home edition installation cd?
Is this a name brand system and if so what make and model?

amstuart

amstuart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi:

Yes, I have a Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM (original OS and original Gateway disc). The computer is a desktop Gateway Performance 1400.

Adam

Edited by amstuart, 08 March 2010 - 05:56 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets begin then:

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

amstuart

amstuart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi:

I will report back within 18-24 hours as the computer that we are addressing is at another location. I will share with you, however, that I previously ran both chkdsk /r and /f. Using the cmd function, after a reboot chkdsk /r stopped at 56% on Stage 3 for more than 24 hours. Now that the Malware Forum cleaned out some remnants of old (not active) infection, and possibly some files are now cleaned-up, I will certainly try the chkdsk utility again and get back to you tomorrow.

Thank you.

Adam

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you and I will wait for your response and results.

amstuart

amstuart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi:

Just wanted to touch base with you. The Chkdsk utility ran through Stages 1-3 without any hiccups; currently at 51% on Stage 4, with no "apparent" movement in 1+ hours. So, I will let the computer do its thing and we will reassess where we are at tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience and assistance.

Adam

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update. I will watch for your results.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Just wanted to add that I was just reading up a little on chkdsk yesterday and it said it can last up to a several days.

Source: Support.Microsoft.com - Explanation of chkdsk...

it should be clear that many factors having to do with the state of a volume play a roll in how long CHKDSK will take to run. A formula to predict the time required to run CHKDSK on a given volume would have to take into account such factors as the number of files and directories, the degree of fragmentation of the volume in general as well as of the master file table in particular, whether files have both long names and 8.3 formatted names, and how much corruption actually needs to be fixed. And that is to say nothing of hardware issues such as amount of system memory, the speed of the CPU, the speed of the disk or disks, and so on.

Rather than attempt to predict how long CHKDSK will take to run for a given volume on a given hardware platform, suffice to say that it can take anywhere from a few seconds to several days -- depending on your specific situation.

amstuart

amstuart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi:

Approaching 36+ hours and stuck on 51% Stage 4, with zero movement. Any advice?
The drive is spinning.

Thanks.

Adam

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It must be finding some serious problems to be taking this long.

amstuart

amstuart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Short of having a crystal ball, you would suggest letting the computer remain in Chkdsk mode for how long? This obviously cannot be an indefinite utility/diagnostic check, but at what point do you say "enough"?

Adam

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Give it another 8 hours and if something has not progressed at that point then we will try a different approach.

amstuart

amstuart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Okay, thank you.

Adam

amstuart

amstuart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Okay, another 8 hours has elapsed and I remain at 51% Stage 4, no movement.
Ready for a "different approach" :)

Adam