Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mac won't connect to home wireless network

• Please log in to reply

scallopedpotato

scallopedpotato

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a macbook pro. I live at school and have no trouble connecting to the wireless network there, and when I brought my computer to the shop today, I had no trouble connecting to the store wireless, either. My mother's computer, a regular macbook, connects to our home wireless with no trouble, and up until I came home on Thursday, my computer always has, too.

Nothing has happened to my computer. It hasn't been dropped or mistreated in any way. The computer dude at my area Apple store showed me how to delete all my previous recognized locations, which I've done. I've run through the network setup wizard a dozen times, shut off and turned on the power strip that my wireless box and router are plugged into several times... Nothing doing. Throughout, my mother continues to connect to the internet without trouble. I currently type this on her computer, which is surfing the web just as fast as ever.

A few times the network setup has requested a password, which neither my mother nor I know. Her ex-husband, with whom we have no contact, installed everything. We don't want to go in for a whole new wireless network because we're moving soon and her computer is working fine-- But I've been assured by the nice folks at Mac Outfitters that there's nothing the matter with my computer, and it's a problem with the network.

Am I cursed? Is my laptop suddenly allergic to Comcast? If you've heard any of this before and know how to help, please reply.

Thanks!

Advertisements

fisheromacs

fisheromacs

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
you can reset the router to factory defaults and then go thru the setup to put in a new password of your choosing. depending on the brand, most routers have a reset button inset on the back. you will need a pen or other small item to push into the hole to depress the button. Hold the button depressed for approx 30 seconds to wipe the memory back to factory default.
For the re-setup you will need to connect 1 computer to the router w/wires (network cable) until the setup is complete, then connect to the new SSID, enter your new password on both machines and you should be good to go.