Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Has anyone realized that on the TV show "House"

• Please log in to reply

brisingr

brisingr

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
they intubate and LP just about every patient that walks in the hospital?

Great show. Love the plot. love the characters. Seems like there are more possible medical treatments and tests they can explore though...

Second to that is the fact that someone always suggests wilsons and lupus. its fun to watch for it. Watch it and you'll see.

I don't know where i'm going with this. but i felt very strongly the need for it to be discussed. what's the differential diagnosis for recycled plot points.

Advertisements

darthduckie

darthduckie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've been watching the show for quite a while, and I agree with you. I think their first choice of disease is either lupus, wilsons, or MS. I can count on one hand how many times those aren't brought up.

The plot is actually pretty good, with a few minor exceptions mainly in some later characters.

I wouldn't say it is my favorite show, by any means, but it helps pass the time and I usually enjoy it.

Tripcode

Tripcode

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

they intubate and LP just about every patient that walks in the hospital?

someone always suggests wilsons and lupus.

It's definitely not lupus.

MS-Free

MS-Free

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Second to that is the fact that someone always suggests wilsons and lupus. its fun to watch for it. Watch it and you'll see.

The writer's appear to be well aware of this. I cite 2 reasons:

1)"I think its lupus" was actually an episode title (Season 2 would be my guess)
2) In Season 3. During the Detective Trevor Sub-plot - when House can't get the pills he needs he takes out his "secret stash". Wilson (I believe it was) sees him do this and remarks:
"You keep your secret stash in a lupus book?"
To which House then replies: "Its never lupus."

The plot is actually pretty good, with a few minor exceptions mainly in some later characters.

I wouldn't say it is my favorite show, by any means, but it helps pass the time and I usually enjoy it.

I tend to agree with you. I also think the shows deviated (starting around Season 4) a bit from what made it originally great.

I used to like it a lot more then I do now. I explain my loss in enthusiasm this way: The show has gone to being about patients with medical conditions no one else can treat/figure out, that are treated by a crippled doctor and his team; to a show about a team of Doctors, led by a cripple (who happens to be a Doctor), who take on the cases of Patients who occasionally have a medical condition no other doctor could figure out.

To simplify the above: the show has become less about the Medicine and the patients, and far more about the Doctors/characters.

Don't get me wrong: having character back stories are great, and necessary, its just when they have 4(+) episodes that have no real medical cases behind them (in this past season there was: Broken [Season Premiere - 2hrs/2 part], 5 to 9 and Lockdown), as well as several where the medical case isn't even the central plot/point of the epsiode (in this past Season: Helping Hand [I think there was at least one other... probably Wilson]), and a few where - at best - the medicine receives 50% of the attention (in this past season: Baggage, and probably more) typically I'd be fine with that proportion (Baggage was actually a pretty good episode) - in fact I feel like that's the minimum amount of focus medicine should receive for any one episode - however, when taken with the rest of the season... in one season, that's not why I started watching the show.

7/22 = ~32% (almost a full 1/3rd) of all the episodes (minimum) in the past season did not have medicine as their focal point. Am I the only one who finds that a disappointing proportion of episodes for a show claiming to be a Medical Drama?

Edited by MS-Free, 06 June 2010 - 10:46 PM.