Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer back to basic

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jbeisenbart

jbeisenbart

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am currently trying to fix a computer that is apart of a domain and i need to restore the computer back to the original settings. Is there a way to do this with out using a disk?

Advertisements

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
You could try System Restore and choose the oldest Restore Point
System Restore is best used in Windows Safe Mode

But this won't default everything back to "original settings"

When you say you without using a disc, do you also mean without using any disc? (not just the Windows Setup disc)
Because you could re-install Service Pack 3 (assuming that you have this anyway)
This doesn't even need a disc, as you can download Service Pack 3 and just install it.
That will get things defaulted in the Windows system file revisions at least.

You can also re-image an entire drive over the network, no CD or DVD disc required.
You can also Restore an entire computer's Operating System by using OEM Recovery procedures. By pressing a certain key (as stated by your OEM Manufacturer) at System startup.

I suppose it just depends on what you exactly want to do, and also why you don't want to use a common disc.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
If this is the same computer as this post, please don't start multiple topics. If you feel I've closed this in error, then feel free to PM me - otherwise, follow the directions as posted by rshaffer in the other thread.