Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

safe mode troubleshooting (resolved)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

curious_x

curious_x

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm new to this site and would really appreciate help with my problem. I hope to learn as much as I can here as well.
The trouble I have with my windows vista laptop is when I run in safe mode my laptop suddenly shuts down after a short while. I do notice the fans tend to work harder while in safe mode. anyways, my laptop will run fine in normal mode. I'm just wondering how can I fix this. I wanna be able to use safe in the future.
I've had my laptop for about a year or so now and this is the first time trying out safe mode but I encounter this problem of it suddenly shutting off.

(issue resolved)

Edited by curious_x, 14 March 2010 - 03:15 AM.

Advertisements

curious_x

curious_x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I can't seem to find any simular situations trying to search on the net for my problems.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
curious_x

Hi and welcome to the forums! :)

What kind of specs does your laptop have? Hard drive, RAM, processor, etc...? More detailed information will help us diagnose your problem. :)

curious_x

curious_x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks for the welcome.

is this the information you're asking of? sorry for any additional unneeded info.

Windows edition
windows vista Home premium

system

manufactuer: Hewlett-Packard
model: Presario F700(GR967UA#ABA)
Rating 3.o window experience Index

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 1.80 GHz
Memory (RAM): 958 MB

system type: 32-bit Operating System

Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings

computer name: User-PC
full comptuer name: User-PC
computer description:
Workgroup: Workgroup.

Edited by curious_x, 09 March 2010 - 10:59 PM.

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Please download SafeBootKeyRepair.exe by sUBs to repair Safe Mode
http://download.blee...otKeyRepair.exe

Once downloaded, please right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".
Once completed a log will open, please close the log.

Does Safe Mode work now? :)
If not, please paste the results of SafeBootKeyRepair to a new reply
The log is found at: Start > Run > c:\SAFEBOOT_REPAIR.TXT > ok

Edited by kimsland, 09 March 2010 - 11:37 PM.

curious_x

curious_x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
after running SafeBootKeyRepair.exe as administrator a black box screen showed up saying
"This batch will only run on Windows 2000 or XP. Please press any key to exit"

so I'm guessing i'm not gonna be able to run this with my Operating system?

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
No you won't be able to!

I did confirm this already at BleepingComputer (or so I thought!)
I'm going to go back there and re-confirm it can be used on other OS

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
(Not Vista compatible)

Are you running Vista Service Pack 2
If not, please update to it

If so try this: Start > Run > CMD > Right click Run as Administrator > sfc /scannow > enter

Edited by kimsland, 09 March 2010 - 11:59 PM.

curious_x

curious_x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
after googling a bit more about bootkeyrepair I cam across this site that describes my issue.

http://www.myantispy...-safeboot-keys/

basically it sounds like the situation I have. I've recently had some malware infections around the time I first started using safe mode for the first time. I followed their instructions also but it seems that the "repair broken safeboot key" is missing from the list of options. anyone possibly know why it's missing?

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
It downloads for me on that page :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

basically it sounds like the situation I have. I've recently had some malware infections around the time I first started using safe mode for the first time.

Please read the Malware/Spyware cleaning guide here follow the instructions at the top....

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post an OTL log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting OTL logs or ANY other logs requested in the malware/spyware cleaning guide in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post any of these logs in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread..

curious_x

curious_x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

(Not Vista compatible)

Are you running Vista Service Pack 2
If not, please update to it

If so try this: Start > Run > CMD > Right click Run as Administrator > sfc /scannow > enter

I finally updated to vista service pack 2

I ran sfc /scannow as andministrator and the results were "windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations" after that I ran in safe mode again to check if it was working but this time it shut off before safe mode could even be loaded. after turning it back on again I had the option to run a start up repair or to run up normally. I chose start up repair but this time as it loaded my laptop suddenly shut off during the process. I'm running in normal mode now and everything seems to work fine.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
It would be a good idea to follow dsenette's instructions

curious_x

curious_x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm not quite sure where to post my question about my current status in trying to correct my safemode troubleshoot. my apologies in case I post in the wrong forum to ask this.
following up my current status, I've followed all I could on the list from the link about Malware/Spyware cleaning guide from the link provided.
1)I made preparations in removing unneeded temporary files from your system.
2) I downloaded ERUNT and made a registry back up with it.
3) I ran malwarebytes quick scan and came out with no infections. I saved the results as instructed. side note, (I previously got rid of infections with a full scan with malwarebytes & AVG prior to seeking help from these forums)
4)I downloaded GMER Rootkit Scanner as suggested but this is where I came up with a problem. when I used this GMER Rootkit scanner, during the process it made everything run slow and some of my programs stopped responding. I noticed it prevented my internet browser from loading. eventually my laptop when to a blue screen indicating an error. here's screenshot of my error message.
http://img14.imagesh...ionnothabv4.png

[Question]
Is it possible that I could have not installed GMER Rootkit scanner right or perhaps my operating system is not compatible with this program? Is there an alternative dependable rootkit scanner I can use?

Edited by curious_x, 11 March 2010 - 02:10 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
skip the GMER step and move on with the rest of the steps