Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Dimension 9150 - Just formatted and is slower than ever!

• Please log in to reply

mchizz

mchizz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

I have a Dell Dimension 9150

I have just formatted my work computer because of performance problems with a specific design package we use. Unfortunately now everything seems to be a lot worse.

I have formatted computers before without a problem and I know the improvement in performance it can achieve. In my case, everything about windows is slow. Internet explorer takes ages to load pages, exploring files and folders take ages, programs are slow to open. It took an age to virus scan my HD with Mcafee. I have installed all drivers associated with my computer from the dell support website. I have only installed programs such as Microsoft office and AutoCad and a few others, but surely none of this should affect the speed of everything? My hard drive seem to sound a little more active than I remember them being before the format too.

My computer has a raid setup and this seems to be working fine still, as the intel storage console assures me. I didn’t realize I had this setup up until the format.

Before the format my hard drive was setup to have 3 partitions which I resized into one, one of these I assume held the Norton restore files which I wasn’t aware of at the time. My system shipped with windows xp professional but I couldn’t install this because I kept getting a blue screen and system was crashing. I used a windows xp home disc which came with another dell desktop in our office instead and this worked fine. I performed a full format (NTFS) of the only drive showing up before installing the fresh copy of windows.

Does anybody have any idea why this is now so slow? I can’t think why it would be? Software or hardware?
Any help would be so appreciated!!!

Thanks for reading
Marc

Advertisements