Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Easy cd-key question

• Please log in to reply

SharkBite

SharkBite

• Pip
  • 9 posts
If the reason behind the neccessity to log on to install a game (like Half Life2) was to beat the pirates. What is to stop me entering my key then giving the game to a mate to do the same? Do they track the keys thus they can trace multiple users ? or does it just prevent the key from being used twice?
As for the graphics card I have a nvidia 5500 (256mb) card. The benchmarks say it is no good for playing doom 3. But I have doom3 and run it with hardly any slowdown (admittedly it is not on the highest graphic setting but the 2nd highest). The only jerky bit is just after loadup for about 30-40secs, I just look around with torch or open PDA before going hunting (the game is probably still loading files).

Advertisements

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Ok you installed the game, you log onto (lets say) steam, you enter your CD, Now you can play that game on that account.

Your friend now, installs the game, logs onto steam, trys and enters the CD but is rejected because you already have assigned it to your steam account.

Thats how they stop the illeagle distribution of games.

SharkBite

SharkBite

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Is that for online play ? or to install it on your own computer? So if you bought the game legit but do not have an internet account (like you are broke from buying the game and could not pay your months suscription), that means you cannot load the game and play on your own computer?

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Yeah, happened to me! I dont have the net at home so i couldnt play until i went to a LAN at a mate house. You can install it, but cant play it. Its good and bad, i guess it shows that the computer age is growing again, i guess that game sudio's think that everyone has the net.