Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista update problem

• Please log in to reply

Moose Muscles

Moose Muscles

• Pip
  • 9 posts
So I have been working on removing malware from a friends laptop. Going smoothly.

One issue I had was the "unable to load profile" error where it logs you in as a temp default profile or doesnt let you log in at all (unless you log in through safe mode).

The other issue is I cannot update through start > windowsupdate. So I went to control panel and literally half of the things are missing from control panel. No windows security center, windows update, fonts ect. I do have programs and features and a few other pieces. Does anyone know how to retrieve these selections back?

I was going to attempt a windows repair with the vista disk this evening when I get off of work.

Thanks ahead of time.

Advertisements

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Your OS states: XPsp3/Vista/Win7
I'm thinking XP ?

Try going to Safe Mode Administrator account
Create a new Administrator privileged account, like Admin2 or something
Reboot back to Normal Mode
Run the full system scans from there :)

Moose Muscles

Moose Muscles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
sorry for my sig...my home pc can boot into either of the 3 OS's...

I am working on a friends pc who has vista 32bit, home premium.

I am in regedit now and it looks nothing like my vista, i think her registry is all jacked up.

anyone else care to chime in?

Please help me help her, midterms are very close

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Since you may still have malware installed you should visit Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal and read the pinned topics.

I feel that editing the registry when you have system file corruption is not going to help you.
Once you have confirmed Malware free then run > sfc /scannow which will bring all your Vista system files back.
I feel you should still create a new Admin account, and not work in a "temp default profile" Of which may just be fully malware and not even your normal profile.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Moose Muscles,

Kimsland is correct - you should visit the malware forum and work with them first to get a clean bill of health. Malware can cause many system issues, and it makes no sense to address what looks like OS issues when malware could still be present. I also wouldn't advise editing the registry - one of our malware experts can help you clear infections properly. :)

Moose Muscles

Moose Muscles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have run extensive virus scan software on this machine. I want to say with confidence that it is not that. Including (but not limited to) malwware bytes, kaspersky, panda, spysweeper, mcafee, a-squared and norton.

I also gave combofix a go, im sure i could find the file it created once i get out of work. I appreciate the help guys. I have also tried numerous registry fixes, I have tried logging in as admin. Her profile is the admin so i guess the admin is the corrupt. Each minute I spend with the machine I think of how easy it would be to just wipe it (after I use f-mod to salvage personal files and scan them using aforementione scan utilities)

I will post quickly in malware to see what they turn up.

Thanks again to all who posted.

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I hope they were all online live scans, because you should only have one Antivirus installed at a time. (I use and prefer Free Avira Antivirus)

Anyway, I'm sure they were.
I don't personally do Malware removal support here
So when you are all done, you might want to reference the thread link, so I can check to see what happened.
Good luck :)

edit:

To Mods (and Admins) the above s not intended as Malware support!

Edited by kimsland, 10 March 2010 - 03:17 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

So when you are all done, you might want to reference the thread link, so I can check to see what happened.

....you're not staff here...why in the world would we want you checking on the progress/status of a malware issue on the forum?

you seem to be posting a lot in the past few days. i will grant you that your advice isn't bad, and you've not done anything intentionally dangerous....HOWEVER, you seem to have an over inflated sense of authority here. we are all about community support and anyone can offer assistance (as long as it's not malware related) but it's very off putting for you to be milling around here like you own the joint. you'll want to watch your step around here

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

you're not staff here...why in the world would we want you checking on the progress/status of a malware issue on the forum?

Thanks for your question :)
Because even though I am not a malware expert here, I have single handed solved approx ~10,000 Malwre issues elsewhere!
I have about 30,000 support posts across the web. Please search kimsland at Google.

Therefore I thought I'd just view (since I can't support) What had happened and what was the resolution (if any)

Anyway, the only issue I'm having here is trying to work out what's allowed for me to freely openly post and what seems to be getting edited out by Admins here.
I am still getting through that. But since I constantly hit brick walls, then it is possible I may not be here forever, either by you or me.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Because even though I am not a malware expert here, I have single handed solved approx ~10,000 Malwre issues elsewhere!
I have about 30,000 support posts across the web. Please search kimsland at Google.

you can help with malware anywhere you like, that's not here. and unless you've been certified by us, or one of our associated schools, your other internet activity is irrelevant. if you feel like keeping up with what happens with someone's posts, they're pretty easy to find, either by searching the forum or subscribing to a user's posts. requesting that the user "might want to reference the thread link" suggests that you're attempting to take some form of ownership of the outcome which isn't your place.

i'm NOT trying to discourage you from trying to help here, and i'm not trying to make you leave (and you don't have to worry about getting banned unless you break rules), you just need to take it down a notch and not float around here like you own the joint