Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VPN vulernabulity Online

• Please log in to reply

videophonegeek

videophonegeek

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a question about safe computing,

I work for a company that uses VPN for my training and other issues that I check everyday at home for my field work, unforunately the VPN style they use is in older version and I been attacked by a hidden virus that was waiting at the door of the vpn, the last one was the adobe flashplayer virus attack, one of the worst vicious virus attack I ever seen. I have tracked what the virus do to your computer and it ain't pretty. I did try format...finally down to to a point where I had to do cmos battery take out and wipe the bios settings to ensure complete 100% clean on my 5th or 6th format, i lost count of how many times in last three weeks. right now, im extremely wary and catious and tired, after finally deciding can't do it myself anymore, got on geeks to go and followed the malware removal guide which is really great...once i saw it was clean, I slept 14 hours first time in weeks. so but now .. with the safe computing.. i know i will probably not be safe against the weak VPN system which I must check for new customer jobs and such. But how can I ensure my own computer safety against that while go in the VPN system? (right now I am trying to recover my bios settings and find the right drivers for them, bios drivers are seriously hard to find...than the other hardwares for those that built computers than store bought ones.Built my own computer. :) )

Any suggestions would be helpful...and disscusion about VPN issues as well would be welcomed too.

thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you talked to your company's I.S. or I.T. staff about this? they need to fix the VPN if they're tunnel is infected or their endpoint is compromised. i would imagine that you don't know too much about the VPN's current setup (except for how to connect to it)? it's really the company's responsibility to correct this issue, and i would imagine you don't have the necessary authority to fix the issue on your own.

your best bet on your end is to follow the suggestions in the malware cleaning guide to have a solid AV, good antimalware tools, and a good firewall on your end. and to also practice safe computing (which unfortunately that means not connecting to the VPN until you can be assured that the virus isn't there anymore...if it even was to begin with)

videophonegeek

videophonegeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yea really true. i do have a meeting soon with serveral people and will bring the issue up, they did mention that they are working on the issue, as they are aware of it. :) Have been following up on that guide which is even better than the guide I am used to when i used to work for a computer security company. as for vpn and other issues as well. while such thing as safe computing...it seems there will aways be worse attacks every week no matter... if its at work or at home. of course if there is an issue, always run the guide to make sure it is safe and hopes not having to format again and again like i had to few times.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
http://openvpn.net/i...openvpn-as.html
http://www.debian-ad...rg/articles/539

One way to about it would be to use both VPN and SSH. On a Linux or BSD box it's pretty simple. OTOH, that's only part of the solution if MS Windows is the OS in question.

Heck, I have used SSH with Privoxy and Tor. It's a matter of finding the right balance between security and convenience.

OS Hardening
http://www.nsa.gov/i...g_systems.shtml

@videophonegeek
This post is less for you than the people you work for, as they should have locked your laptop down in the first place.

videophonegeek

videophonegeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
mmm interesting, well i wouldn't know and doubt the tech dept at my work who is in development stage would share their secrets about what version of VPN and the tunneling and such ... :) if they did..then i could only assume would be in lot trouble. hehe! but i just do what i can do ...and always check my computer everyday and clean out and back up my files every night.