Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Autorun not working and main drive is I drive, not C

• Please log in to reply

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Ok, so i have 2 problems. Firstly, My DVD drive is not running autorun. Everytime I go to click on the D drive it bring me to the folder of me game(in the case) and doesnt run. I am used to double clicking on it to run and it doesnt bring up the contents of the disk. Can someone helop me fix this.

Secondly, I recently installed a new hard drive and it didnt set up my main drive as the C drive. My main Drive is the I drive. How do i change this? I already tried reinstalling the OS.

EDIT: this should be posted in software shouldnt it? Can you move this mods?

Edited by corn4ahead, 09 March 2010 - 07:42 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Disconnect all other drives before installing Windows (including CD/DVD drives, thumb-drives & external hard drives). That will allow Windows Setup to assign the letter 'C' as the system drive. Don't reconnect other drives till Windows is completely installed.

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Ok i will try that, bus can someone help me with the autorun issue?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The main drive needs to be C drive otherwise you will have issues especially with programs that are looking to install only to the C drive.
There is no "automatic" fix other than what was suggested by phillipcorcoran.

After that is taken care of, then if needed, we can help with the autorun issue because you need to re-install the OS. When you install the OS, anything we do to fix autorun will be wasted.

123runner

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
ok i will try, i will let you all know when it is finished

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I made a blunder in my previous post, sorry. Should have said "Disconnect all other drives except one cd-rom drive ! (you need that obviously to install Windows from).

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Yes, i figured i needed to leave in the CDROM drive. I reinstalled XP completely and TAA DAA, everything works, autorun and everything. Thanks guys!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible