Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD Question

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Okay, I recently acquired an IBM T40 Laptop. Now after some reading I saw that certain ThinkPad laptops only work with certain HD's. The laptop I got came with a 40gb HD, and I would like to upgrade it to an 320 or so.

I am looking at this drive from newegg.com http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136345 which is a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320gb.

The drive in the laptop is an ATA but doesn't list the specific revision ie 4,5,6. But it is the same RPM and form factor.

The current HD has a internal system partition that I planned on cloning to the new drive to preserve it, along with all my data then just resize the partition when the clone is done to max available space.

All I am looking for is confirmation if the drive will work or not in this system.

TIA Jon

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Yes, the PATA WD Scorpio will work in the T40 laptop. Do not worry about the ATA version as it will transfer data as fast as the chipset of the T40 will allow.

If the laptop had a SATA interface I'd likely recommend an SSD.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The IBM T40 is not affected by changing the hard drive, apparently. According to this anyway: http://www.thinkwiki...kPad_hard_disks
Therefore you should be able to shove any drive in it.