Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with setting up basic network

• Please log in to reply

Red929

Red929

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have two computers that both connect to the internet through a single modem that also doubles as a router. So, each computer has a cable running from the computer to the modem/router. The modem/router is then connected directly to the wall.

No matter how many times I run through the network set up wizard on each computer I cannot get them to see each other.

Both computers have firewalls (Comodo) however the firewall does not seem to be picking up any activity so it doesn't seem as though that's the problem.

The modem is a Netgear CVG824G.

Any help in guiding me through this would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

magical2099

magical2099

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
need some more info:
can you connect to the net on either comp?
i know it sounds stupid, but are all the wires hooked up correctly?
can you ping the modem?
in the network wizard (if you are connected to the net) is it set to default to public network? if so you have to change that before you can see any comp on the network.

Red929

Red929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Magical, thanks for volunteering your time!

1. Both computers are connected to the internet, no problems there.
2. All the wires are hooked up correctly, in that there are two ethernet(?) cables, one from each computer, going directly to the modem.
3. I'm not sure, how do I ping the modem?
4. I don't remember anything about setting default to public network, how do I do that?

magical2099

magical2099

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
alright for starters i need to know what operating system the PCs are running.
second does the modem have its own software or is it using native software.

as for the ping, don't worry about it, if you're on the net with both then they are communicating with the modem just fine. if ya just wanna try it click start, run type cmd. in the window that opens type ping wedsite or IP address and hit enter. the IP for your modem should be accessible either on the case or through the software.

Red929

Red929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
1. One system is running Windows XP Professional. The Other is running Windows XP Home.
2. The Modem has its own software but it's pretty useless (the modem was supplied by my ISP). However, when I type the IP address of the modem into my browser I get a list of options about LAN, WAN, Settings etc. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with them to be able to navigate it effectively.

magical2099

magical2099

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
http://www.microsoft...up/homenet.mspx

try this first- i know you said you ran the wizard multiple times but try it one more time making sure to name each PC and give them the same workgroup name.

second- visit (from each computer) www.whatismyip.com and write down the IP, then click start, run. in the run box type cmd and press enter in the black box that opens type ping and the IP of the other computer and hit enter.

personally i'm gonna bet on comodo is the culprit because its very aggressive in doing its job, cripplingly so, but lets try these out first ok? good luck :)

Red929

Red929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok, I've run the wizard again, same result, confirmed that workgroup name is the same.

On one computer I can actually see the other computer but it says "\\XYZ computer is not accessible. The network path was not found"

On the other computer it does not show any computers in the workgroup when I click on it, just comes up with the same error as above.

Both computers have the same IP address?! I ran the ping on both and it seemed to work... but that would make sense since it is pinging itself, right?

I think you're right about comodo, but how do I stop it doing that? I've tried disabling it, but that has not made any difference, I don't really want to remove it because otherwise it is a good firewall, I just want to ensure it allows me to network :)

magical2099

magical2099

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok when you check the IP its giving you back a generic, uh lemme think, try ipconfig /all in the command prompt (where you did the ping) check and see if it gives you different IPs then. look under connection

Red929

Red929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok, I got the two different IP addresses (one finished with .10 and the other with .11) and did the ping and it timed out on both and says "sent = 4, received = 0, lost = 4"

So looks like the ping didn't work?

magical2099

magical2099

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
yep ping failed and firewall is doing it. i'm digging into that right now, if you feel like enduring A LOT of confusion you can head to http://forums.comodo...ly-t1125.0.html or you can open comodo, go to tasks, run the new trusted zone wizard and work form there. i'll keep digging, may install it myself lol

edit here we go for the second option: "you configure CFP by a two-step process. Go to Security/Tasks/Add a Zone; give it a name and define the IP range (or go with the default, which is the entire subnet). Then go to Security/Tasks/Define a New Trusted Network; use the Zone you just created. This will put two rules at the top of Network Monitor; the first will Allow IP Out from Any to Zone, and the 2nd will Allow IP In from Zone to Any - this allows unencumbered communication across your LAN." from http://wiki.answers....hat_to_function

Edited by magical2099, 10 March 2010 - 06:17 AM.

Advertisements

Red929

Red929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi, I tried both of those, the second must be for an old version of Comodo because I couldn't find those settings or labels.

I was able to add a trusted network and IPs but I can't tell if it has done anything, and still can't access network.

Grrr sorry about this mate, it must be as frustrating for you as it is for me! I am sure we can get this to work though! :)

magical2099

magical2099

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
bah only real frustrating thing for me is that i don't have an XP machine in front of me to tinker with :) we'll figure it out. which one wasn't there specifically? the add a zone or add a network? and did you set it up on both?

Red929

Red929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I can set up trusted network zones (putting in every combination of IP address and subnet mask (whatever the [bleep] that is) that I can think of) but there is nothing which shows as "Network Monitor" or "Allow IP Out from Any to Zone, and Allow IP In from Zone to Any".

Also Comodo website appears down?

I only set it up on one machine, I only have comodo on one (I have a very old basic symantec firewall on the other but that never interferes with anything, I have had that PC networked before and never had any issues).

magical2099

magical2099

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
subnet masks are used mostly because there aren't enough IPs to go around. think physical addresses. here in the US its state, county, zip code, city, street, address. same basic principle. which PC is showing the the network folder? i'm guessing its the one with the symantec. i'm on comodo's site now, downside is, unless you paid for the product we gotta deal with the knowledge base which gives the uber-jargon i gave you a link for earlier.

Security/Tasks/Add a Zone. this work? i assume so since you mention entering IPs and subnets

Security/Tasks/Define a New Trusted Network. did this work?

last but unfortunately not least, did you buy the software? i hope not, cause personally at this point i'd remove it, install AVG free, and see if the network will work then.

Red929

Red929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I didn't buy the software, I'm running AVG free as well but it doesn't have much of a firewall.

And you're right, the PC with the symantec is showing the network folder, the comodo one isn't. I can't find any good firewalls, they all seem to have unfortunate drawbacks!

I'll try uninstalling comodo and see what happens.

What a pain! :)

Edited by Red929, 10 March 2010 - 07:10 AM.