Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

Atwine

Atwine

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Guys, I am getting totally fade up of Windos XP BSoD. Every week I have to re-install my XP OS. Whats should I do? I am considering going Open Source seriously but Windows has a number of tools that Linux doesn't. Any quick solution? :)

Advertisements

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Without knowing any information of the BSoD, it is difficult to say what are the best steps to take.

I will say to confirm the following:
  • All Windows Security Updates completed
  • Latest Windows Service Pack installed (XP is up to SP3)
  • Use Ethernet instead of USB network connections
  • Do weekly updated Antivirus/Anti-Malware scans
  • Disconnect not required hardware
  • Update all device drivers from your Manufacturer
  • Run Memtest on your RAM
  • Confirm Windows is installed properly, and all files are intact
  • Uninstall P2P File Sharing software
  • Remove not required startups
  • Test by uninstalling Internet Security packages (some of these can corrupt)
I think I got most of the important ones in :)

Atwine

Atwine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I guess thats helpfull. But man I have to have wamp server, file zilla and other tools I need for coding + graphic designing. Do you think windows 7 could help? Though my PC was built to work with XP? The drivers, I only need working are network and sound card. However the RAM is not the original RAM that came with it. I happened to Upgrade to a 1GM from 512MB. Do U think that could be the main cause?

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Only this will tell :)

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor: http://www.microsoft...de-advisor.aspx

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Every week I have to re-install my XP OS

this sounds like you've got a serious issue...you need to post the contents of your BSOD here for us to have any idea of what's going on. if you're having that many issues even on a clean install then you've probably got some hardware failures.

go here and download the Windows Memory Diagnostic utility, follow their instructions on how to run the software to check your ram. run it for a few passes and report any errors

also run chkdsk on your hard drive(s)

open "My Computer", right click on your C: drive and choose properties, click on the "tools" tab, press the "check now" button, make sure both checkboxes are checked and press ok. it will probably tell you that it can't scan the disk now and ask you to schedule it on the next reboot, say ok and reboot your computer. let this run undisturbed to completion and report any errors. do the same for any other hard drives in your system