Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hammerman asked me to post in the section

• Please log in to reply

twonil

twonil

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
http://www.geekstogo...60#entry1780779

Advertisements

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi twonil

Since there are 71 Posts! in that thread you linked to :)

Please provide what is the present issue you are having
The more details the better :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Brand name system and if so what make and model?
If not brand name then we would need to know what make and model motherboard you have.
IE and FireFox both return done with no page displayed.
Error messages in event log show a problem with the OS system and you may need to run a Repair Installation or sfc /scannow may fix some of the problems.
No OS disk available but without knowing the make and model we can't tell if there is a usable recovery partition.

twonil

twonil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Dell Dimension 4700

Firefox is working fine now

My brother told me he saw a guide on making XP run faster through changing some settings in regedit

Computer takes forever to shut & also quite some time to load

Ive completely given up on IE as it no longer loads & FF sometimes hogs 100% of the CPU

Edited by twonil, 11 March 2010 - 04:41 AM.

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I suspect that he may have made a change to registry (although I'm not sure if changes were made or not) That clears the PageFile at Windows shutdown.

This is a standard "guide" that you may find online everywhere
These guides imply that removing the PageFile will create a safer more optimized system.
But, they forget to state that it will take Windows 10 times as long to shutdown!
Best therefore to remove this. Anyway who's going to read the PageFile, No One Can! The only one interested would be the law. And if they have acquired your computer I wouldn't be worried in the least about the PageFile.

The other issue with Internet Explorer is usually easily solvable
Re-download the newest IE (ver 8)
Run sfc /scannow (to default all windows files back to their original versions)
Update to SP3 (whatever happens, you should do this anyway
Repair IE (there are a number of steps)

Firefox can "hog" a lot of system resource. Its always done this in my view
It has been addressed many times to Mozilla forums
Mozillas advice is to uninstall Firefox fully, then Restart, then install the latest Firefox.
But note: I have... 8 tabs opened in Firefox, and my TaskManager states a whopping 97Meg used! (oh and I have the latest version of everything installed, on XP though!)
Therefore if you have a small amount of Ram (say 1Gig) on XP SP3, maybe you should add another Gig (I did, and it helped)

Do you feel the above could be the issues and possible general fixes that need to be applied?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts

I suspect that he may have made a change to registry (although I'm not sure if changes were made or not)

Since most settings are stored in the registry I doubt that no changes were made.
The good thing is that you do not have to edit the registry to change it back.

Anyway who's going to read the PageFile, No One Can! The only one interested would be the law. And if they have acquired your computer I wouldn't be worried in the least about the PageFile.

If you do not know what you are talking about, it may be better to walk away quietly. :)
And let the expert rshaffer61 handle this.

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

I suspect that he may have made a change to registry (although I'm not sure if changes were made or not)

Since most settings are stored in the registry I doubt that no changes were made.
The good thing is that you do not have to edit the registry to change it back.

The OP stated his brother saw a guide
So he has made changes? As this is not clear.

Anyway who's going to read the PageFile, No One Can! The only one interested would be the law. And if they have acquired your computer I wouldn't be worried in the least about the PageFile.

If you do not know what you are talking about, it may be better to walk away quietly. :)
And let the expert rshaffer61 handle this.

Who reads PageFiles? And Why do they?
Yes you clear the PageFile once, or you can defrag it. But are you suggesting that someone should remove a PageFile on every shutdown?
My point is valid. It is possible that the PageFile is being cleared on every shutdown, hence the delay.
This is also likely since his brother followed a "guide" on the net.

Pretty sure I can handle all issues though, maybe you should walk away quietly. What support have you replied on this thread again? Oh nothing as yet :)

EDIT

If you would like me to quote my experience with supporting on the Net, I would be only too happy to oblige.
I have double the amount of support posts as rshaffer61, although the amount of posts don't mean anything, I'm VERY experienced across the entire Internet Tech Forums.

Edited by kimsland, 11 March 2010 - 06:40 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
kimsland

If you are going to assist, then you need to read the posts, not just get "what is the issue".
You can't jump to a conclusion without all the facts. The OP has 3gb of ram and a 5gb paging file.

3.00 Gb Total Physical Memory | 2.00 Gb Available Physical Memory | 80.00% Memory free
5.00 Gb Paging File | 4.00 Gb Available in Paging File | 92.00% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): C:\pagefile.sys 2046 4092 [binary data]

These problems have been going on for a while now, well before my bro did something to the regisrty

As for updating to IE 8 and SP 3, I would definitely wait on that till we get a good operational OS. With suspected corruption in IE7 and the OS, any major update could be a disaster because the updates rely on a "good" system and also because the new files are so intertwined.

twonil

Some issues I have spotted that we also need to look at.
1. If you haven't already....get rid of the Winmend Registry Cleaner. A registry cleaner does no good and if not used properly (and most are not) it will wreck the system (possibly beyond repair).
2. Product: Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 -- Error 1500.Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one.
3. The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: eeCtr. This is a Symantec file.

Checkdisk was run with 1 error repaired.
SFC was not run because there is no CD.

You need to try and find a XP cd of the same type (home or pro) so that SFC (system file checker) can be run. This could resolve a lot of your issues.

twonil...
There are are related to Kapersky internet security and to Symantec.
Do you have any of these installed?
Look in add/ remove for them and uninstall them. I believe you had avast (correct me if I am wrong).

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK

twonil

twonil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
123runner I used to have kaspersky internet security isntalled but I uninstalled it and went with Avast

No I got rid of winmend registry cleaner

Im really struggling to get an XP cd

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to run sfc /scannow and if so does it ask for the cd?
I know it was suggested but try it again following the instructions below and see if you can get through it.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

twonil

twonil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I followed the instructions with regards regedit, rebooted my pc, ran sfc /scannow and now a box has come up saying 'please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files are intact and in their original versions'

Then it came up asking for the XP CD and I was just typing that it had asked for that, then it went off and now its carrying on

I spoke to soon

Now its saying 'Files that ate required for windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache

Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM now'

Retry/More Information/Cancel

Edited by twonil, 12 March 2010 - 11:29 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is obvious then that some System Files are either corrupt or missing.
If you don't have a OS disk then you would need to borrow one as long it is the same type you have...Home, Media or Pro

twonil

twonil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi Ive been asking all my friends for an XP CD, 2 days Ive been trying to get hold of 1 and I cant

My computer is getting no better

Should I do thing that broni did where u change the d:\ to c:\ and scan it

Saying that, hows it going to replace corrupt/missing files??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The sfc checks for this and if done form the hd it uses a backup copy made when the original install was done.
Yes try the second method in the instructions and see if that works.